Cars without lights! - Happy Blue!
I know we have done this to death previously but last night took the biscuit.

A dark cold wet night. Vauxhall Vectra with one dim side light on one side and nothing showing on the other. Driving agressively; I.e. itching to overtake, rolling over the stop lines at traffic lights etc etc.

How does one report this nonsense? I kept thinking that the next MoT test would get him, but then I realised he was probably driving without an MoT or insurance and getting away with it because there are not enough checks carried out.

Edited by Happy Blue! on 07/12/2012 at 06:24

Cars without lights! - diddy1234

probably stole it from another p****

Cars without lights! - coopshere
Having spotted it the best advice is to keep well out of the way so you don't get involved in the accident he/she is likely to have. Just have to hope then that the now very rare yellow spotted Plod sees him next.
Cars without lights! - Bobbin Threadbare
. Just have to hope then that the now very rare yellow spotted Plod sees him next.

Hen's teeth, they are. Had occasion to call them the other night; took 1.5 hours to turn up, because there aren't enough dispatch staff to sort out each car, it would seem. Wouldn't mind but I live very close to the local road policing HQ.

Cars without lights! - spring

Eqally maddening is the driver who chooses to show no lights at all in drizzly and semi-dark conditions at school starting and finishing times. Is it absentmindedness or stupidity.

Cheers Colin

Cars without lights! - hillman

What is the legal requirement ?

I had a friend who was convinced that he was legally able to run on sidelights in areas lit by street lights because he could see quite well to drive that way.

Cars without lights! - jamie745

The magic book says

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226).

So yes it is perfectly legal to drive on sidelights on roads with streetlighting.

It's only on rare occasions that I see a car with only siselights lit. When it's raining it's quite difficult to distinguish sidelights from distant streetlights.

When I first took an interest in driving it was the practice to use parking lights at night. Now anyone parks anywhere unlit, even facing the wrong way.

Cars without lights! - Engineer Andy

My housing development actually has quite decent (white) lights, so its quite common for visitors to forget to switch on their dipped headlights on the way home in the evenings!

My method of determining the time to put the lights on are:-

If not dark, but I cannot easily read my instrument panel, then I switch on the side lights; if I cannot easily pick out pedestrians, road markings or signs, then on come the dipped headlights. I rarely use my lights when its raining unless its either really heavy (lots of spray) or got dark because of the cloud cover.

Cars without lights! - Smileyman

have you considered a 101 call? I've no idea if it will work, but it's worth a go!

Cars without lights! - daveyjp
My Merc has auto lights, but I have found out that the lights on warning only operates on the sidelights, turn the car off with headlights on and the lights go off.

I've moved the switch to headlights and it will stay there until February/March next year.
Cars without lights! - jamie745

If I'm just toodling about town I do drive with just the sidelights as I am conscious of just how bright the Jag's bi-xenon things are.

Cars without lights! - bathtub tom

One of my cars has got dim-dip, remember them?

Engineer Andy. There was at one time a rule regarding 'lighting up time'. My brother checked the times every day so that the local bobby would not catrch him out without his his bike lights on.

I once owned a Volvo that had daytime running lights. I got used to them and now leave my sidelights on all year round so that I don't forget to switch them on.

Cars without lights! - Engineer Andy

Personally I think the problem with leaving them on all day is that if the warning sound telling you that you've left the lights on fails to work (or is not a feature) when you open the doors, then you (I've seen many people do this) could leave your lights on (if you don't spot it) all day whilst at work, etc, which could severely drain the battery.

I'm very much "old school" regarding having certain automatic functions on cars, such as "rain-sensing wipers" or auto-lights (any reason why you can't use your eyes and your own judgement?) - too much these days is done by computers (e.g. basic maths replaced by everyone using calculators) where our brains are just as good, and keep us mentally sharp. I'm not a fan of daylight-running lights as well, though I can understand why people leave them on all day.

Cars without lights! - unthrottled

I think (for once!) that we are in complete agreement.

Cars without lights! - RT

There was at one time a rule regarding 'lighting up time'. My brother checked the times every day so that the local bobby would not catrch him out without his his bike lights on.

There still is a rule - lighting-up time is defined as 30 minutes after astronomical sunset until 30 minutes before astronomical sunrise.

Sunrise/sunset varies daily and varies by location as longitude and latitude affect it - your local library and/or local paper will have details available.

I work on a simpler basis - if visibility is impaired in any way I use dipped headlights - I use parking lights when I'm parking outside a lit built-up area.

I don't understand why the Highway Code is so difficult for the majority of drivers to follow.

Edited by RT on 08/12/2012 at 19:10

I don't understand why the Highway Code is so difficult for the majority of drivers to follow.

'Cos they don't bother to read or consult it. It's actually quite an interesting document; we've got some weird laws in this country!

have you considered a 101 call? I've no idea if it will work, but it's worth a go!

Is this in response to my post? 101 is exactly what I rang, because I didn't believe it warranted a 999 emergency call.

"I work on a simpler basis - if visibility is impaired in any way I use dipped headlights - I use parking lights when I'm parking outside a lit built-up area."

RT - Do you park overnight in country areas ? That sounds to me to be a recipe for a flat battery.

Cars without lights! - RT

"I work on a simpler basis - if visibility is impaired in any way I use dipped headlights - I use parking lights when I'm parking outside a lit built-up area."

RT - Do you park overnight in country areas ? That sounds to me to be a recipe for a flat battery.

I rarely park on unlit roads so it's not an issue.

I was trying to make the point, obviously not very well, that parking lights are for parking, not driving on !

Cars without lights! - FP

The argument that it's OK to drive on sidelights/parking lights just because the driver can see where (s)he's going is ridiculous. In my view, it's a dangerous practice, even with street lighting. Does anybody ever consider how visible their car is to everyone else? My rule is - if you need any lights, you need dipped headlights, unless you're stationary. As for the practice I've recently observed on the M1 and elsewhere of driving in poor visibility with only sidelights - it's suicidal.

Cars without lights! - unthrottled

Does anybody ever consider how visible their car is to everyone else?

Does anyone consider how the visibility of their car affects the visinility of surrounding objects? Clearly, the more brightly illuminated your vehicle is, the more visible-and noticeable-it is. Bully for you. The problem is that a dimly illuminated object is less visible when adjacent to a bright one. This is why I apply the rule of using the minimum illumination necessary. It's a judgement call: I'm late to switch on my lights and early to switch them off. Sometimes I probably don't get it right.

But cyclists and pedestrians have a greater need to be noticed than I do encapsulated as I am in a ton of metal.

Edited by unthrottled on 09/12/2012 at 18:49

Cars without lights! - SlidingPillar

The argument that it's OK to drive on sidelights/parking lights just because the driver can see where (s)he's going is ridiculous.

When I passed my driving test, use of side lights in streetlit areas was fairly common. I did it, and I saw police cars doing the same. One could see more as objects outside what a headlight would light were also seen and observed.You got a better view of the whole picture in my opinion.

What ever the rights and wrongs though the use of headlights at all times was held to be safer, and a campaign was waged in the late 70s and early 80s to do this. I'm not totally convinced of the argument even now, but since Mr/Mrs InattentiveDriver only sees what they are spoon fed, would not dream of driving only on sidelights now. I don't want to give them any excuse for 'not seeing' me.