VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - Rumfitt

In the summer, our family 'bus broke down, hundreds of miles from home. Got recovered to a nearby garage who inspected it and said it needed a new top end and timing belts - ouch!

Work came to around £1700. The mechanic who did it still thought the car was down on power after the rebuild, and I mentioned on the phone that I'd heard getting the timing right was critical here - he apparently hadn't much experience of this. Collected it, and apart from a strange 'thump' and sound on startup, it drove well, if a little down on power - then again it had done over 200k miles.

The very next day it wouldn't start - lots of black smoke from the exhaust. Rang up the garage who said it was maybe a glow plug issue, or relay. Booked it into a local garage who took over a month to finally get it running ok. When I collected it the local garage said the timing was completely out and it had blown the ecu and cooked the glow plugs. The bill for their work came to £1200.

Do you think I stand a chance of getting compensation from the rebuild garage by going back to them and stating they got the timing wrong which caused the starting issue? I believe my local garage is willing to state their findings to the other garage.

I just feel I shouldn't have had to fork out another £1200 immediately after having the top-end rebuild, when it appears a timing issue may well be the contributory factor. The starting was never an issue before the rebuild.

Any advice appreciated!

Edited by Rumfitt on 20/11/2012 at 06:48

VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - barney100

Think you maybe should have given the first garage a chance to put it right, try the local c.a..b for specific answers.

VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - veryoldbear

Ideal, but I think that Garage A was a long away, and Garage B is OP's local garage ...

Ideal, but I think that Garage A was a long away, and Garage B is OP's local garage ...

Yes, other garage was a ferry journey and a 100 miles away...

VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - Simon

Would the timing being out a notch or two really cause the ecu to blow and burn out the glowplugs??? I'm not so sure...

Would the timing being out a notch or two really cause the ecu to blow and burn out the glowplugs??? I'm not so sure...

I have heard from other T4 owners who've stated that they've blown their glow plugs due to fuel pump timing being way out.

VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - galileo

Link removed

This is clearly advertising, the same reply appears to several posts with the link to an irrelevant site

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 21/11/2012 at 16:14

VW T4 Caravelle - Faulty engine rebuild disaster - any comeback? - thunderbird

Link removed

This is clearly advertising, the same reply appears to several posts with the link to an irrelevant site

It probably downloads some nasty malicious spyware onto your PC when you open the link.

Carry out a full system scan.

Edited by BorisTheSpider on 21/11/2012 at 16:13