buying a car within budget 3k-4k - ross276
I am looking for a small family car within budget £3000 to £4000 and can stretch upto 4500(if really need to). My daily round trip is 20-25 miles excluding weekends. couple of long trips in a year will bring within approx 10000 miles a year. I am looking for fuel economic, reliable and a decent car. I am not yet decided I should go for petrol or diesel or which engine size. Please help!
buying a car within budget 3k-4k - veryoldbear

The world is your mollusc, but does depend a bit on how big (and young) your family is.

it just me and my misus.
buying a car within budget 3k-4k - veryoldbear

An even bigger mollusc. At 10000 per annum, you may be better off with petrol, although your longish commute may work for diesel.

which car do you suggest and engine size 1.4, 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0??
buying a car within budget 3k-4k - Oli rag

A toyota corolla 1.4 or 1.6, or a mazda 3 1.6 should fit the bill.

buying a car within budget 3k-4k - oldtoffee

Petrol probably as an old diesel may save you a few quid a week in fuel but one big bill and you're toast. I'd go for a 1.6 petrol Focus because they're a great drive and good value at the price you're looking at. Lots about in your price range so you can be fussy about condition, mileage, full service history and maybe even colour. As with most petrol engines a 2 litre will go bit better but use quite a bit more fuel and cost a lot more to tax. The 1.6 is decent enough on fuel, generally reliable and if they go wrong, cheap to fix and service with lots of decent independents to do it. If you favour potential reliability over quality of drive look to the east for slightly older Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Toyota Corolla, Mitsubishi Colt, Lancer etc etc...

Edited by oldtoffee on 16/11/2012 at 15:56