passat tdi 140 2008 reg - garage costs. - albi06

been having some trouble with my car so i took it to a garage, they did dignostic and they said ur crank shaft sensor has gone and needs replacing they said 8 hours labour plus part total £ 448 told me they have to let oil out so another£50 total £498.

next day they called me and told me and the cam shaft sensor needs replacing and said another 4 hours labour and the part took it to £280.and had already paid them £60 for diagnoctic so the total was £850 i asked for the print out of diagnostics on the first day they said there printers is out they will print it for me next day ....4 days on i went to pick my car up when i asked the told me there autologic machine broke down and everything is deleted.......HAVE I BEEN RIPPED OFF COZ I HAVE THIS FEELING?!?

any help will be appriciated.

passat tdi 140 2008 reg - garage costs. - Collos25

Sounds very much like it but you must have authorized the work.

passat tdi 140 2008 reg - garage costs. - Duncan112

Labour times appear well over the top - suggest you ring your local main dealer and get a price for this work - and a menu labour time. Also ask to see the old parts - bet they have been "thrown away" too

passat tdi 140 2008 reg - garage costs. - Crasher

The crankshaft speed senor on that engine can be a nightmare to change. First of all you have to remove the oil filter housing and then using a ball ended hex hey, try and get the sensors screw out without rounding the head out as VW decided to make it impossible to get straight access to the screw. If the head does round out the gearbox has to come off to gain access to the sensor so the plastic can be ground away to get some grips on the screw.