2005 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 dCi - Renault Grand Espace Overheating - Gregch

I have a 2005 Renault Espace. I noticed when i was on the motorway that the car would begin to overheat. i pulled over and loosened the radiator cap. That seemed to release pressure in the system and then magically the car woudl run fine again on the motorway.

I brought the car into the dealer and asked them to perform a pressure test. The car failed and they said the 'Engine is Broke'. The hard part is i am in Luxembourg and English is not prevelant and i cannot seem to get a good explanation. All anyone is willing to tell me is that my engine is broken and i need to replace the engine.

Here are my questions:

1. Can i continue to drive the car (making sure the coolant and oil is in good shape)? it woudl seem to me i can. I will watch the temp guage to make sure it doesn't overheat.

2. if we cannot use the car, should i replace the engine or is it worth replacing the head gaskets or liner? In reading many comments, it would seem to me that i have either a cracked gasket or defective liner.

Here is an explanation from another post what it sounds like i need to have done.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Just for your info.

My vehicle started having similar problems at roughly the same mileage, the radiator, header tank and even the water pump were replaced but this did not solve the problem. Eventually we realised that the cooling system was pressurising excessively and venting water through the header tank cap suggesting a leaking head gasket. The engine was again removed, the head gaskets replaced ( and sealed with a spray on head gasket sealer used in race cars ).

The vehicle is transformed now, no overheating or water loss at all.

2005 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 dCi - Renault Grand Espace Overheating - Peter.N.

The most common cause of overheating is a leaking of the head gasket although gasket failure itself in itself is not the cause, its that the pressure build up in the sytem expells the coolant, then it starts to boil. If the leakage is not to bad you can sometimes overcome the problem by leaving the filler cap loose, this vents the system and stops coolant loss.

2005 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 dCi - Renault Grand Espace Overheating - TeeCee

Are you mad?

The reason that cooling systems have a pressure cap is to keep the coolant under pressure. Without that pressure, the water/antifreeze coolant will boil at around 110 degrees rather than the 135-odd it does under pressure and you'll lose loads of it, as steam.....

2005 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 dCi - Renault Grand Espace Overheating - Peter.N.

No I am not mad I speak from experience, I have a Citroen XM 2.1 td with a leaking head gasket which has been running with the cap loose for about three years now with virtually no loss of coolant, if you screw the cap down it blows the water out.

Having been repairing cars for 50 years I am well aware that the pressure raises the boiling point of the coolant but under normal usage unless you drive like an idiot the water shouldn't get much above 90C and if you have a leaking gasket you should be driving carefully anway.

2005 Renault Grand Espace 3.0 dCi - Renault Grand Espace Overheating - thunderbird

If the leakage is not to bad you can sometimes overcome the problem by leaving the filler cap loose, this vents the system and stops coolant loss.

Never heard such a load of total b******s in my life.