Jaguar S Type 3L Manual Gearbox Year 2000 - Jaguar S Type Misfire - DaveJag

My Jaguar S Type has developed a misfire; it appeared shortly after replacing the Radiator although this may not be related.

The misfire only appears after the engine is up to temperature all seems ok up to this point. Once at temperature any acceleration is accompanied by a misfire up to approx. 4,500 rpm after which it appears to go away. There is no engine warning light or any error codes logged in the ECU. Although it will continue to accelerate performance is retarded. Tick over at temperature is slightly lumpy.

On an unrelated issue, ever since I have had the car the engine idle speed is approcx2000 rpm until you come to a complete stop at which point it drops to approx 800rpm. Is the normal

Jaguar S Type 3L Manual Gearbox Year 2000 - Jaguar S Type Misfire - unthrottled

Misfire after warm up does sound suspiciously like coil packs. The resistivity of the insulation decreases with temperature allowing a short to occur.The voltage required to bridge the gap depends on cylinder pressures, so at low throttle positions or higher engine speed when the spark is very advanced it will often discharge normally, but short when the spark timing is retarded.

IIRC, Ford had a penchant for very large spark plug gaps around 2000-around 1.3-1.4mm. This caused a lot of premature coil pack failures. I'd tap the gaps down to 0.9-1.0mm and see if that ameliorates the problem before splashing out on replacements.

I've had a fast idle but-only-when-moving problem before. I don't understand why it only occured when moving. I cleaned the ICV and recentered the throttle butterfly valve and it sorted mine!