Vauxhall Corsa 06 1.4 - What type & size bolt - Robin the Technician

Hi,

I recently did discs & pads on my Daughters Corsa. I removed the caliper leaving the carrier in place. When I went to remove the two bolts holding it on, the bolts were not your normal hex type heads....they were almost like inverted torx type - with the slots on the outside. I'm sure I've seen similar head bolts but what size is it on the caliper carrier and what type of socket is it called??

The job was done using the usual application tool and they came undone without problems. However it would be a good idea in future to invest in the correct type of sockets.

As always, your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am.

Vauxhall Corsa 06 1.4 - What type & size bolt - TeeCee

Same on the rear caliper mounts of my Zafira and a few places on the engine (e.g. thermostat housing) in a variety of sizes too.

Those are male torx bolts. I got a set of sockets off eBay, look for "female torx sockets" there's plenty of sets out there.

Sorry, I can't remember the exact size, but if you're thinking of getting a set, the right one'll be in there. While they can be turned with a suitable sized star socket, making a habit of it or hitting a stiff one will turn the edges of them.

Vauxhall Corsa 06 1.4 - What type & size bolt - 1litregolfeater

Yes, like yourself, I found myself somewhat disgruntled to find that nothing I had would fit, and incredulous that instead of inventing great new cars, manufacturers just try and stop people fixing them!

Anyway I bought a torx set on ebay from hizanherz, came in a blue box, not the cheapest, but good value, it's been very good, as it had all the sizes for a Vauxhall.

Vauxhall Corsa 06 1.4 - What type & size bolt - Robin the Technician

Thanks very much for the replies guys. I've seen a decent set from Halfords for not too many pennies - so when i have the time, I'll go and have a look. there is no rush now the job has been done.

I agree totally that the manufacturers continually try to stop the home mechanic fixing his pride and joy for a lot less than dealers want to charge you.

Again, thanks for the replies - much appreciated.

Robin the Technician - I fix, therefore I am