BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - Lensman

My BMW 3 Series Coupe 2.0Diesel Sport Automatic on a 57 Plate has full main agent BMW service History. It went in for a service and I was informed the engine was noisy. Thankfully the car has the BMW Exttended warranty, the car has covered 47,000 miles. I must give credit to the service centre at BMW Park Lane at Stewarts Road, Battersea, who diagnosed the problem immidiately and who provide an exceptional level of service. That is why I travel from north to south London as I believe they offer the best service in LOndon, I have been driviing BMW's for 30 years. The cost of the repair is upwards of of an eye watering £5,000.00 thankfully I only have to pay £100,00 excess. the work needed was a full removal and strip down of the engine. It needed the following parts to be replaced: Crank Shaft, Bearings, and Timing Chain Assembly and of course re filled the engine with new oil.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - coopshere
Excellent advert for BMW reliability!
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - Collos25

I would have thought it would be much easier and cheaper to fit a short engine.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - Lensman
Awful after 30 years just bough a Hyundai! NOT the ULTIMATE driving machine but does have a much better warranty.
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - injection doc
I would be more concerned at why the serious failure at such low mileage ? Great to have the warranty and great to hear of good service but why did it fail ? Is there a garrentee it won't happen again ?
Did the garage give an explanation of why it failed ?
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - 659FBE

Is this another manifestation of the infamous N47 engine timing chain failure?

Make yourself a pot of coffee and Google BMW N47 failure. What a stupid piece of design.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - Alf_Hooker

Oh dear,

We just scrapped one of our company cars Coupe, 2007 320D SE with exactly this problem.100K on the clock and full BMW History, they refused any contribution, even though it had been serviced just 100 miles before it broke,

Managed to get 3K for the wreck, better than throwing more money after it.

What I cannot understand is that such a supposedly "Quality" car can be affected by such a stupid fault, we have many Mondeos, Avensises Peugeot 407s and Vectras that routinely put in 150 K+ miles in 3 years without any bother at all, yet Badge snobs up and down this country will not be seen in such cars but will happily pay double for such Cr&p from BMW.

I personally will ensure we never have another one on the fleet after this episode.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - Collos25

The world believes that German engineering is supreme whereas in reality it is mediocre to say the least ,why people think that buying a German car will lift their social standing I would not know I live in Germany its not the country you imagine they do not enforce much HS build thinks on the cheap going to see a doctor is a like going back in time and they have no idea what the word "service" means.They may build miles of motorway and tunnels but they keep it quiet when they have to rebuild them some 12 months later.

And when it comes to building cars they are good at marketing where they mainly use UK companies in fact if it was not for Brits and Amis the country would be very mediocre.A man once stood up in Germany and convinced the gullable Germans he was right and today the country convinces the gullable world that their cars are the best.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - injection doc
They didn't design them to last as they were only designed to be used as a rep-mobile to be siting 6inches off the car in front in the outside lane of a motorway just waiting to be written off !
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - madf

Swril flaps and timing chains.. No wonder BMW s are falling down the relaibility tables...

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - balleballe

If I ever get a BMW, i'll be looking for a straight 6 engine. Their 2.0l engines seem to have always had problems

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Noisy Diesel Engine - NJR
My 57 plate 320d M Sport coupe has just broke down. Full service history 61000 miles on the clock. Apparently the engine is locked up and they suspect a snapped timing chain and what other damage this may have caused. I am also told the engine needs stripping just to diagnose the problem at a significant cost before they even establish how bad the damage is and how costly the work will be.

I have been told to register my complaint with BMW GB. Has any one had any assistance from them with similar problems in the past?

Does anyone have any advice?