any - cherished or what? - spring

I seem to be surrounded these days by cherished or (depending on your point of view) prat plates.

We surely can not now be far from the tipping point when the most cool, with-it, right on, must- have plates to own are the ones provided free by the DVLC.

Cheers Colin S

any - cherished or what? - tony g
We can choose the colour ,interior fabric ,etc of our BMW ,ford ,whatever .
But once we've done that ,thier are still thousands of other cars that are identical.

So why not make our pride and joy unique with a personalised number ?

I can't see anything wrong with having your initials on your car ,what I would really like is the plate that belongs to Barnsley town council THE 1 .its probably worth more than the town hall ,as far as I know it's a Barnsley registration and has never been offered for sale .

The least desirable and possibly the most vulgar PEN15 , perhaps thier are others that are more desirable and more vulgar .?

In the same vein ,I once remember seeing in a local RR garage a rolls with the single number 6 on its reg plate ,were there any uk plates ever issued with single numbers ,or were they always letters and numbers ?
any - cherished or what? - Doc
In the same vein ,I once remember seeing in a local RR garage a rolls with the single number 6 on its reg plate ,were there any uk plates ever issued with single numbers ,or were they always letters and numbers ?

The first registration marks were made up of one letter with one number, the letter denoting the issuing authority (the first, A1, being issued by London County Council in 1903.)

Later formats were comprised of two letters and four numbers. These series were replaced as and when they were exhausted. So, whilst the Liverpool series KA lasted for only two years between 1925 and 1927, the series SJ was still being issued by Bute Council in 1963.

By the mid 1930s, the two letter/four number series of registration marks were exhausted in some areas, and new three letter/three number series were introduced. AAA 1 was issued (by Hampshire County Council) in 1934 through to AAA 999 and the commencement of the BAA series in 1936. This process continued until the mid 1950s when marks were reversed to three numbers/three letters.

any - cherished or what? - spring

Doc. Fascinating stuff. Where on earth does one find all this?. I would like to follow it up,having had an early car with UN plus 4 numbers.

Cheers Colin S

any - cherished or what? - Doc

This site gives a comprehensive account:

tinyurl.com/d8l8eyo