Stolen Car??? - rossi46

Hi, I purchased a vehicle from a motor trader,handed over cash for the sum of £8000,the trader was selling this particular vehicle for a customer of his (sale or return),i took the vehicle along with the v5 doc which is registered to me now,hpi clear certificate,all other doc's and keys and a receipt. The trader then all of a sudden a couple of weeks later vanished,and have been told that the trader did not pay the customer the £8000. Where do i stand on this,is this just a case where its civil between the previous owner who had it up as sales or return and had a verbal agreement with the trader. Would i be able to keep the car etc,some advice on the next steps would be great. Thanks

Stolen Car??? - Ethan Edwards

Sounds like the law of agency to me. You were dealing with the owners agent. If that agent failed to honour the deal between him and his principal that sounds to me like their problem. But IANAL. Not reported stolen you have the vehicle described on the V5 etc.

Find a solicitor who will give the first half hour free...maybe citizens advice? But imo your in the clear.

Stolen Car??? - tony g
Hi , what concerns me with your situation ,is that you may have bought the car from a dealer who didn't have clear title to the car .

If the previous owner of the car can prove that the dealer who sold your car was contracted to act as an introductory agent ,you may have a problem .

Hopefully it shouldn't be that complicated ,I think the original keeper allowed the dealer to act as his selling agent and will now have to try to recover his money from the dealer .

I think you can expect to hear from the previous keeper ,who inevitably will say that as he's not been paid ,he still owns the car .Do you have all the keys for the car ?pocession being 9/10 etc .

Good luck and please let the forum know the outcome ,your experience will help other members .

Tony g

Stolen Car??? - skidpan

Stick a cheap private plate on it fast and disguise it.

Stolen Car??? - Collos25

Have you got or retained any bill of sale or anyway of substantiating that the the money given over was for the car in question.