LR Discovery V8iXS 1998 R - Adam Binns
Dear Honest John,

I recently purchased a nice vehicle from Formulae Fuchs. I raised some questions before the sale about the offside front wing, because the light and trim didn't seem sit quite properly. Panel gaps etc were all up to normal (Land Rover) standards.

I was fully reassured by the seller that his wife had clipped the bumper endpiece which he had replaced. He showed me the replaced part. He said that the car had its (original paint) and had been subject to no impact damage or panel damage.

From closer inspection I now discover that the wing and more trim has been replaced and resprayed. I feel that I have not been told the whole story and am unhappy with the terms under which I bought the vehicle.

The seller offered to take the car back for a refund but has now gone back on that and says that there is nothing wrong with the car that would warrant me taking it back.

What would you advise?

Thanks and best regards,

Adam Binns
Re: LR Discovery V8iXS 1998 R - David Woollard
Adam,

The seller may or may not have known about the more extensive repairs on this vehicle. The previous owner may have deceived the seller who only realised this when you caused further inspections to be made.

But if a selection of trim parts and a front wing have been replaced is it such a big deal? So many vehicles have been through the sprayshop for a wing or two that it is hard to find one that hasn't had something done.

On the other hand have you HPI checked this vehicle to see if these problems indicate a sinister past? Then it becomes a different matter completely. There are some horrific things go on with these vehicles. They are in demand and lots of slightly dodgy guys understand just how to make a few bob out of something that may not quite be what it seems.

I guess you paid £10 - 12,000 for this vehicle so you need to feel good about it.

Of course you could have it AA/RAC inspected to see exactly what you have bought.

There's loads of helpful stuff in the "How to buy and sell cars" part of this site.

Hope you sort it out.

David
Exactly!! - David Lacey
Adam - There are not many vehicles out there, as DW says, that haven't had any paintwork/panelwork carried out.
It can be down to some sort of warranty repair at an early stage of the vehicles life - putting right some bird-dropping damage on a car that has stood outside for a time, perhaps?
Or a carelessly opened door on the vehicle forecourt?
Or even the car has suffered some transit damage whilst in transit to the dealer?
As I say, there are not many motors out there free from paint & body repairs

I would suggest an HPI check to put your mind at rest. You really should have perused the How to Buy & Sell cars bit on this site - you would have been much better equipped to go and buy this vehicle.

If everything appears OK, then it most probably is. To make sure, have the vehicle AA/RAC inspected - ity could be the best £150 you will spend - even if it puts your mind at rest.

On another subject, you must have this vehicle converted to run on LPG. Did you see Top Gear 2 weeks ago? A glowing report on a V8 Disco on gas owned by some guy from the beeb.

Rgds
David
Gas it!! - David Lacey
Adam - I don't know where you are based but D & N Autogas of East Brent, Somerset, just off J22 of the M5 did a smashing job on a customer's Rover 75 recently. They also supplied all the parts and advice needed for the LPG conversion I carried out on Guy's Golf (Which is running beautifully, by the way..)