Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - likerocks

I've got a 12-reg Fiesta 1.25 60PS Style as a courtesy car at the moment whilst my Accord is repaired. Initial impressions were predictable - underpowered, noisy and twitchy on the dual carriageway, plasticcy inside. But on my daily, 27mph average speed commute it's a revelation!

Decent, IPOD-compatible stereo, effective aircon. Gets up to 30-40 briskly enough. Controls handy and it LOVES being thrown around a bit on the twisty country roads at the home end of the journey. It kind of makes any more than 100bhp irrelevant.

Now I just need to find a way to talk my wife into driving the main family wagon so I can get a 1.4 one of these, or a Mazda 2!

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - tanvir

They've brought back the 1600S name for a special edition with 134bhp... reckon that would be a hoot. £16k though...

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - 1litregolfeater

Ditto my revelation obtaining a 1litre city car for a teenager. It's ace... er top...whatever

Capitalism loves to fool us into a collection of idiots with Jeremy Clarkson.

Watch Sky TV, live in a semi, try and afford a BMW.

Its all complete b******s.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - davecooper

As the kids left, I began to downsize and now have a Mazda 2 which does everything I want and I love driving it. I will never go back to a large high powered car and I am not interested in anything badged as "Prestige". Not because I can't afford them but because I don't need them. A man of simple tastes really.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - Happy Blue!

Its funny. Over the years I have driven a succession of large executive saloons, but more recently have changed tack and started driving cars which really suit my needs. Currently I am in a Ford S-Max, which I love but rather than hankering after anything 'prestige' to replace it when i no longer need the space, I keep thinking 'small and nippy'.

Its a pity Smart stopped production of the low slung sports cars they made.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - GavoTheSane

Its a pity Smart stopped production of the low slung sports cars they made.

I loved mine, fantastic fun.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - KenC

Hello Dave, ref your Mazda 2, I am very interested in your opinion regarding this car

in particular, the age/model you have, the mileage you have covered, the running costs

(repairs if any) and fuel consumption ( local ) and longer journeys

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - Engineer Andy

From HJ's reviews, the Mazda2 is sharper handling than the Fiesta, but less refined - I quite often see reports of a firm ride, which is important if the roads you drive on are poorly-surfaced. Japanese cars often are designed for the smooth roads of the home market (my Mazda3 mk1 is, though the mk2 is better) and have firm rides.

On running costs, Mazda dealerships are reasonably priced, especially if you factor in the general reliability of their cars (minus the RX8 and PSA-sourced diesels with DPF/DMF issues). HJ recommends the 1.3 TS2 model as the best all-rounder.

Generally, small cars are better at the shorter journeys - if you do a lot of long-distance driving, then go for a larger car which will be more comfortable.

Ken.

I am on my second Mazda 2, my first being a TS2 and my current one a Takuya. I am not going to ramble on about how it might be the best supermini around blah! blah! because it has been around a while and it probably isn't. However, with that in mind, I still bought another about 12 months ago.

For me, the attractions of the 2 are its styling, which is still up there with the best, especially in 5 door form. The interior is good and Mazda have not tried to pander to the Playstation generation which I think looks tacky. The car is a real drivers car and the handling is spot on. Equipment levels are good and finally, they are still a lot less common than most of the rivals.

The car is sometimes slated for rear/boot space, rear visibility and for having a harsh ride. For two of us, space is more than enough and I have had four big adults in it without any problem. Reduced rearward visibilty is one of the drawbacks of such styling but I have never found it a problem. The ride however can be quite harsh, it certainly communicates a lot about the road back to you and I quite like a hardish ride. However, this is something to be considered if buying one. This has been improved a bit on the facelift model.

Now the engine. The car only weighs a ton so it does not need megawatts to give a nippy car and my old TS2 with 86BHP was a zippy little car that had just the right amount of power to be enjoyable to drive whilst being economical. The gearbox was also a peach. However, for the facelift, to get into the lower road tax bracket and to improve economy, Mazda have slightly reduced the engine power (84BHP) but critically have changed the gearing. This has blunted the performance of the car a bit and especially with two up, you do find yourself doing a bit more gear twiddling, even on motorways. However, with one person, it is not too bad.

I do quite high mileages in what is basically a town/city car (14k in the past 12 months). I also now have the added requirement to transport a small grandchild and infirm Mothers/In Law around. With hindsight, had I still wanted to go the Mazda 2 route, I may have been better getting the 1.5 Sport or the 1.6 Diesel. However, the Sport is that bit more expensive to run and the Diesel is quite a bit more to buy.

However, all that said, I still love the car and will be sorry the day we part. Unfortunately its replacement is going to have to be something a little bit bigger and I am now considering something like a Hyundai ix20 for the future.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - KenC

Hello Dave, thank you for the very interesting reply, a Mazda 2 is definately on my short list. You are right they are fairly rare especially in White, you have obviously put a lot of mileage under your belt in mazda 2,s, I wonder how many miles did you travel on your original TS2 ? and did you encounter any significant repairs ?

( other than consumables- tyres/brake pads etc)

With your current car the Takuya, I see you are averaging 250 miles per week, what type of journeys are you performing ( eg majority motorway or dual carriageway ) and what is the average MPG you get ?

I ask this because the HJ owners review section of the M2 contains conflicting reports regarding MPG. thank you Ken

Edited by KenC on 31/07/2012 at 10:38

Ken.

I did 36K in the tree years I had the TS2. Not one reliability problem at all. The only consumables I replaced were wiper blades. tyres and brakes were still good when I px'd it. The only minor issue I had was some minor corrosion on the alloys. When I got the car, I was warned this was a possibility and was told that I could have a full replacement set if this happened. (There were problems with the supplier at the time I believe). We then had a couple of very harsh winters and a lot of salt on the roads so the wheels were affected. However, I did not bother getting them replaced as I was px'ing at the main dealer and this would not affect the trade in value.

Because the TS2 did not have a trip computer, I never really knew what the true consumption was, however, it always appeared to be mid 40's at worst. Now I have the trip computer, I have a better idea. I am quite an economical driver and I have been able to average 50mpg with careful driving at times, especially on longer journeys and sticking to speed limits. However, recently I have been driving more normally, and with very mixed driving, it seems to have settled around 48.5mpg.

My current journey pattern is 100 miles per week commuting on rural roads with visits to family every couple of weeks with round trips of around 200 miles. I also have a trip down to London every 3 months or so which is 700 miles round trip.

Hope this helps.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - Thersites

"I did 36K in the tree years..."

I do hope that wasn't literal!!

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - Bobbin Threadbare

I did 36K in the tree years I had the TS2. Not one reliability problem at all. The only consumables I replaced were wiper blades. tyres and brakes were still good when I px'd it. The only minor issue I had was some minor corrosion on the alloys. When I got the car, I was warned this was a possibility and was told that I could have a full replacement set if this happened. (There were problems with the supplier at the time I believe). We then had a couple of very harsh winters and a lot of salt on the roads so the wheels were affected. However, I did not bother getting them replaced as I was px'ing at the main dealer and this would not affect the trade in value.

My experience has been the same. This is unfortunately a Mazda problem. Every time I've taken my 6 in for services/tyre changes, the guys in the garage have commented that the car is virtually bombproof but the alloys tend to go tatty on them, especially when there's been snow and grit and salt on the roads. They can be re-ground for about £35 per wheel though.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - ChannelZ

Or wait a few months and get the 1.0 Ecoboost version. That'd be sharp.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - balleballe

In reality I doubt it will be much more economical that a naturally aspirated 1.6. Only less reliable

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - Leif

Also look at the VW Up (and Skoda and Seat versions), Fiat Panda, Hyundai i20, and a few others. I had a base spec Fester as a loaner for 3 or 4 days. I did not like it, dull engine, cheap looking interior.I suspect the reviewers that rave about it drive the more powerful versions. Some people like the Fiat 500, very cute looking, not cheap.

Mazda 2's were on offer not long ago, well priced.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - jamie745

However you slice it, a car with lots of power is faster than one without. So there.

80bhp or 800bhp, I ain't gonna get to work any quicker!
Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - corax

However you slice it, a car with lots of power is faster than one without. So there.

No it's not. A car with the high power to weight ratio is faster, as long as the power can be put down.

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - thirts
And I thought it was just me.

We have a Yaris and Focus (I know that the Focus isn't considered a big powerful car), but even though, for most day to day driving, the Yaris is the car I choose to use.

I know I could afford at much more prestigious car, but I see no point to them. I'm sure when I pull into Tesco's or the petrol station and I happen to be next to a top of the range car, I'm sure they may look down on me as a peasant, even though I could in all honesty afford such a car.

Wanna bet? ;)

Ford Fiesta - small, underpowered car revelation! - thirts

Wanna bet? ;)

Well, I cycle to work each day, which I suspect is a lot less than 1bhp, and I know many cars struggle to beat me. (I tend to notice and recognise the more prestigeous one as they pass me, and then I re-pass them at some point)

Maybe if you got out the sodding way the cars could get there quicker :P

On a serious note because of where I live - which isn't gridlocked London or the like - I can beat any mode of transport to where I work. In fact any car could do it, which is why the car is magnificent in every way.

I cycle to work too and have been a keen cyclist for over 35 years. Unfortunately a medical condition has kept me off the bike this year. I would much rather use the bike though.