VVW Golf mk4 1.6 5dr 2001 - start up issues/help? - joeprosho

Hi Guys,

Recently purchased the golf in the title as my first car, the engine runs really nicely on it but i have some issues on start up.

it has started everytime first time but sometimes the car decides sounds a little like it is struggling with lower toned "wurr wurr" kinda noise, and as soon as the engine first turns over sometimes there is a higher pitched short and sharp noise, that sounds kinda maybe like rubber catching against metal at a guess?

i have had one person suggest the higher pitch noise is the starter motor and that its not really anything to worry about apart from it being an annoying noise

im just wondering whether i should pay to have the car checked out and potentially look at having the starter motor replaced? or is there soemthing i am missing that is perhaps more likely responisble for the issues

am very much a car novice so would appreciate any advice, just dont wanna get caught out with a car that wont go anywhere

on a different topic, i drove to work the other day and the interior light decided to flick on and off which was seemingly dependant upon how much i accelerated.. couldnt turn it off, but it has not done this again yet... that more likely going to be the door switch issue?

thanks,

joe

Edited by joeprosho on 11/07/2012 at 11:43