Ford C-Max - Idling Speed Problem - pehu

I have an 09 Ford C-Max; 1.8 petrol vehicle which has a problem with the idling speed when re-starting the car after it has been parked for an hour or so. When starting from cold in the mornings, the engine rpm is about 1100rpm and normal idle speed seems to be about 750rpm. However, if the car is used for a while and then parked for between 1 and 3 hours, on restarting the car the idle revs drop down to 500rpm at which the car is struggling. At this problem speed, dabbing the accelerator pedal has no effect, the revs refuse to increase and only depressing the accelerator pedal hard down will force the revs up. On occasion the engine will just cut out at the low revs. Sometimes the speed will oscillate between 750rpm and 500rpm. The dealership where I purchased the car have no idea how to cure this, they have cleaned the accelerator sensor but this had no effect. I would appreciate some advice as to what could be causing this problem.

Ford C-Max - Idling Speed Problem - Singlish
I have a similar problem/characteristic with my 07 Focus 1.8, the problem has got any worse over the last 2 years, but it can be embarrassing giving the car lots of throttle to start a half warm engine. I'm sure there are other readers who have noticed the same 'characteristic'?

Andrew
Ford C-Max - Idling Speed Problem - cford4

Ford C-Max - Idling Speed Problem

I have an identical vehicle (09 C-Max 1.8 petrol), same age, with the identical problem. Car has been back 5 times, once for a whole week and recently for another 2 days. I am assured it is an isolated problem not known to Ford! Throttle housing and plugs have been replaced and on last visit fuel cleaner was used as it was thought the problem was a sticking valve caused by the low mileage - 16000. Still doing it! Would really appreciate someone throwing some light on this as it is spoiling an otherwise great car, and getting a little irritating!

Edited by cford4 on 12/08/2012 at 12:15