Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - Liamjay

Hi all,

This is my first post, and im just wondering something......

I have a 2009 (09) 1.6 TDCI.

Ive heard lots of horror stories about the turbos failing on the engine due to the engineering between the hoses, the sump and the turbo (its the same as in the mini, pug hdi, citroen etc ive been told?) From what ive read it seems that they are "garrett" (if ive spelt right) turbos.

However.....

After looking at my engine and turbo, nowhere does it state garrett on the turbo body it just states various numbers.

Also there are marks on the bolt heads and bolt housing, where it looks to me they have been marked for the correct torque settings for when the turbo unit is removed and put back on.....Why would someone do this for a car with 23k on the clock?

Ive taken a photo so you can see, if you give me an email i can send??

Also do the new TDCI units still suffer with this problem of turbo failure, as again when reading i get mixed responces. Some people say yes but only on focus and others say no, it was rectified on the MK7, and then there are people who say yes the turbo fails on all TDCI's

Please help/advice

Cheers

Liam

Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - Peter.N.

I am convinced that turbo failure on these engines is largely due to the ridiculously long oil change intervals, crud builds up in the system and eventually blocks the oilways. 6000 miles is a realistic interval for oil and filter changes, when these were in general use you rarely had a turbo fail, I have had engines with nearly 300,000 miles on them still with the original turbo's.

Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - injection doc

The turbo failure is normally cause by excessive carbon build up in the engine caused by no 3 injector seal leaking carbon into the engine. This inturn gums up the oil feeds which causes the turbo failure.

Not sure whether problem is redressed in the 2009-10 models.

regular oil changes would help, but a periodic removal of the cam cover to inspect the injector seals is the only answer.

hmmm, well i spoke to a mechanic and he recommeded that i change the oil and filter every 6 months with good quality oil as well as the schedualed service intervals.

I shall be asking him to check the injector seals....But how often should this be done, and how long does it take (so i know how much it will cost :-) )

Cheers in advance,

Liam

Good advice but don't go overboard with expensive oil, any oil that meets the required spec will do, I pay about £13.00 for mine but you may need to spend a little more as yours has a DPF.

are you sure mine has a dpf? How do i find out if it has either way as i know some 09 reg fiestas do and some dont (due to the engine change)

Liam

Maybe I'm wrong, I just assumed it did as the Peugeot engine has, if it doesn't my type of oil will probably do, its Comma semi synthetic CF4+
Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - grimep

Ford 1.6 TDCi's should only be given a fully synthetic 5W-30 low ash oil to WSS-M2C-913-C (upgraded from WSS-M2C-913-B), eg Castrol Magnatec. Lower quality oils risk adding to the carbon / sludge problems that affect this engine.

hmm,

do you know how i find out, or do i have to visit/ring the s******s?

Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - MykiMyk

excellent advice.

not only do the fine oil ways inside the turbo foul-up with sludge (or worse) but the hydraulic tappets do too. the Ford oil change interval seems more about making the car appear cheaper to maintain than prudent maintenance. by nature diesels taint the oil with carbon far more than petrols do. 'oil is cheap, engines are expensive' as someone once said.

just passed 235,000 miles with mine doing around 8-9000 miles in recent years. I change the oil every 6 months and the filter every 12 months. if the mileage goes back up the oil changes do to.

for anyone reading this threat, changing the oil and filter on these engines is easy. the oil doesn't need to be an expensive brand, just make sure its full synthetic and meets the right spec. you can buy 20 litre drums to get the cost right down.

Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - daveycooper
Liam mate, do yourself a favour and stop worrying about something that might never happen. checking seal seems a bit over the top to be doing regularly and you'll only get obsessed with doing it. All cars have common faults. I drive a honda jazz which is reliable but if i wanted to i could worry myself sick about its common problems - in particular the massive gearbox problem they allegedly have! I used to have a jag xj which are known for cam chain problems - mine even had the start-up death rattle! but in nearly 2 years of ownership nowt went wrong.

so........Relax! And think of the good old days of 20 or 30 years ago when you'd be lucky if your car started in the morning!!
oh, forgot to add, change oil regular as per recommendations above. Thats likely to be as gd a 'preventative measure' as owt else. Then relax!
Ford Fiesta - MK7 TDCI Turbo failure - injection doc

sorry davey cooper but on this ocasion the OP is right to be concerned.

Its not a one off problem, you only have to read the other thread.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=91541

Its very common and on another site there are so many with the same issue, but i must add mosty Focus 1.6TDCi and not Fiesta TDCi. there is no explanation for this other than the unit works harder in the Focus.

The oil contamination is caused by the injector seal leaking ! hence why the seals need to be checked .I would check at year 3 and 5 & llok for carbon at the base of the injector, mostly number 3. this could be related to a temp issue and I always allow my Fiesta TDCi to idle for couple of mins before switching off so help cool the head down.

If the seal is leaking you can change the oil as much as you like but it wont stop the strainers blocking up with carbon as the injector allows carbon soot into the oil !!!!!

The jaguar can chains where modyfied so it was only a short period of failures but to ignore the fact that they can fail is not good as when they fail they go big time. I have seen many fail and totally wreck the V8 engine

I revise my advice...dont buy a ford fiesta......buy a jazz!!

I should have clarified with the jag- it was an aj6 not a later v8. Opinion seems split on weather start-up rattle on the straight 6 means anything significant.....certainly does on the v8's wouldnt touch a v8 rattler!