Honda CR-V - Second hand trader warranty - Sweeney287

Hi,

We purchased a Honda CR-V 2007 from a trader in December 2011 and 8 days later the engine management light came on.

I took it to our local Honda Main Dealer who said it was a glow plug issue and changed 1 of them and gave us the car back. 2 weeks later the light came on again. Went back to Honda and they said it might be a relay, so changed one and gave the car back.

It came on again, went back to Honda but no action taken, just reset the system but I can't remember why!

The light came on again and it went back to Honda who said they got Honda UK involved (whatever that means) and they recommended to replace the wiring harness at a cost of £1500 and at this point the trader who we purchased from baulked at paying this, saying he had had his fingers burnt many times by main dealer who can't diagnose the fault so just go through a process of elimination.

So, we agreed to give the car back to him to pass on to his guy to try to sort it out. However as Honda reset the system, sods law the light didn't come on for the 2 weeks that he had it so we took it back. After 1 week, it came on so he took the car off us and his guy changed all 4 glow plugs blaming Honda for only changing 1 and hoping that this would sort the issue out.

It didn't as no sooner that the car got handed back in the morning, we went to use it in the afternoon and hey presto, light on the dashboard. At this point I asked for a full refund and he said it wasn't an option and would do everyhing he can to sort the issue out.

He has taken the car back again and has said that they can't fix the issue and the diagnostic professional thinks it might be the engine management unit but that is tricky, expensive and not necessarily going to resolve the issue.

He has offered a choice of one of his current stock and any cash difference that won't financially disadvantage either of us, but we don't fancy any of those cars, so I guess after all the ramblings above is, does he have to give us a refund as the car clearly isn't fit for purpose as it's not reliable?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated,

Thanks

Honda CR-V - Second hand trader warranty - bonzo dog

does he have to give us a refund

Probably, given that you've given him plenty of opportunity to rectify what he agrees is a problem.

The time period from buying the car to trying to reject it MAY be a sticking point but as the problem first developed only 8 days after purchase I would hope this would negate this.

The only problem you have is that you will need to go to court to get the decision, which is why dealers try it on so often.

Good luck

Honda CR-V - Second hand trader warranty - Sweeney287

Thanks Bonzo Dog

That was where I thought this may end up.

Honda CR-V - Second hand trader warranty - Avant

If the car is going well, are you sure it isn't something wrong with the light or its sensor?