Electric & Hybrid Cars - AF

Yesterday whilst the other half was wandering around Grand Designs Live, I spent the time test driving four electric and hybrid cars; a Chevolet Volt (also sold in the UK as the Vauxhall Ampera), a Honda CR-Z hybrid, a Peugeot 508 RXH hybrid, and a Nissan Leaf.

Of the four cars the only one that I considered utterly pointless was the Honda CR-Z hybrid. The petrol engine runs all the time, with the electric power used to give it a bit of an extra push when necessary, so the fuel economy is nothing at all to write home about, and for a car that claimed to be a sports car, it was ugly as sin.

The Peugeot 508 hybrid is electric power only at low speed, with the diesel engine only turning on as you speed up. But I found if you planted your right foot as if you were needing to make a quick getaway from a T junction, the power delivery was anything but smooth. A fast rush of power, then the car would almost appears to stall, before taking off again. Due to the price, the only people I could see buying this would be company car drivers because of the favourable tax treatment.

The Chevrolet Volt was the same as the Peugeot 508 and is electric power only at low speed, bringing the petrol engine on as you speed up, but did it a lot better, with none of the hesitation that you got with the Peugeot. However unlike the Peugeot, there were definite compromises that had been made with the space in the car, with the battery pack forming a small mountain down the middle of the car. And as for the styling of the Volt, good grief, a glaring white plastic dashboard? Again due to the price, the only people I could see buying this would be company car drivers.

The Nissan Leaf was an interesting car, purely electric and therefore a maximum range of around 80ish miles. It was a nice solid car, and drove almost exactly the same as a good automatic. I could actually see this type of car meeting a lot of people's requirements, however £26,000 for a Fiesta / Focus size car?

It also amused me how Nissan felt the need to bend the numbers on their advertising in an attempt to make it seem a good buy. When they compare it to a Focus, they use a mileage of 10,000 miles per year. Are you really going to be doing 10,000 miles in a car with an absolute maximum 80 mile range and a 12 hour charge interval?

It was interesting to hear the difference in the sales pitch between the hybrid manufacturers and the electric only, with the hybrid claiming that their batteries would last longer since they were only charged by the petrol / diesel engine and you couldn't abuse the battery by fast recharging from the mains.

For the electric only cars, I found the whole concept of recharging interesting. The charge point for the Leaf is under a flap in the bonnet, and the charging lead is not locked to the car and can just be pulled out. So if charging at home you need to be able to park the car next to your house so you can run a power lead to the car, and it obviously needs to be secure enough that you can be happy that someone isn't going to unplug it for a laugh. Is that likely in an urban enviroment where these cars would be most likely used.

As for the commercial recharging points, are you ever likely to actually use one? There is no way I would drive beyond the point of no return in the hope of finding a commercial recharging point, and unless you want a fast (and battery damaging) quick burst, then the car would need to be parked for hours next to the charging point. So unlike a normal filling station, the charging point would have to be somewhere within walking distance to your destination.

The conclusion I came to was that the manufacturers seem to have no strategy for who their customer is, and are just trying anything an everything hoping that something will work. However the real killer at the moment is price. Once they solve that then I believe that there will be a massive take up.

Electric & Hybrid Cars - unthrottled

The point about charging/discharging rates affecting battery lifetimes is the salient one. This is a much bigger problem than battery capacity and range-which is what everyone focuses upon.

I have no problem with cars using their engines to charge a battery (although I question the wisdom of turning perfectly good mechanical motion back into chemical energy , only to turn it back into mechanical motion later), but plug-in cars should be banned.

You can't have people using tax free mains electricity to fuel their new toys whilst everyone else has to pay hard taxes on their road fuel.

The electric cat has existed for almost as long as the ICE powered car-and it still can't stand on its own two feet. The sooner this sentiumental distraction dies a death, the better as far as I'm concerned.

Electric & Hybrid Cars - colinh

"... tax free mains electricity..."

Check your next electricity bill - 5% VAT - full rate if business use

Check your next electricity bill - 5% VAT

Compared to the circa 100% duty on road fuel, then 20% vat on the duty given a total taxation burden of well over a 100%, the 5% VAT and zero duty on domestic fuel can reasonably be approximated by zero in comparison.

Electric & Hybrid Cars - gordonbennet

Interesting post, many thanks.

If you are considering such a car why didn't you try the obvious default choice in this market, Prius/Auris, the drive train discomfort experienced in Pug simply isn't there in Toyotas models....i'll be watching with interest to see how Pugs long term reliability fares too.

I can't quite work out why electric cars are more expensive to buy than full Hybrids, little more than a large rechargeable lawnmower without the cutters.

I can't quite work out why electric cars are more expensive to buy than full Hybrids

A 100KW electric motor is cheap.

A battery system capable of charging/discharging at a rate of 100KW (equivalent to about 130 brake horsepower) is not.

Electric & Hybrid Cars - gordonbennet

Yes i understand that, but these all electrics are more expensive than competent hybrids, with all their engine and auto gearbox drivetrain and transmission as well as the admitedly not as powerful battery side as well.

Electric & Hybrid Cars - AF

If you are considering such a car why didn't you try the obvious default choice in this market, Prius/Auris, the drive train discomfort experienced in Pug simply isn't there in Toyotas models.

Despite being a perfect candidate for such a car I am not considering buying one, it was the better alternative to having to wander around Grand Designs Live, and as for not trying the Prius, Toyota ddn't have a stand there.

I used to drive 25,000 miles a year, but due to a change of job I now drive three miles to and from the station every day, and rarely drive to somewhere more than 30 miles away, so something like the Nissan Leaf would be ideal. But at £26k it makes no economic sense.

Regarding the cost of the fuel and the tax, another thing that surprised me yesterday was that Nissan didn't have the common sense to show figures comparing the cost of charging to the cost of petrol/diesel. Instead of showing that the cost of electricity works out at less than 1/6th of the petrol/diesel cost, they showed a per charge cost.

For the same reason that airlines don't like talking about the absolute cost of kerosene-only the percentage rise in the cost of crude! If you enjoy a big tax break, you don't want to rock the boat.