Hybrid Estates - veryoldbear

Why is there very little in the way of hybrid load-luggers? Is it something to do with estate cars having higher drag coefficients and not looking that clever on mpg?

Hybrid Estates - colinh

Volvo V60 diesel plug-in hybrid estate available in November

Hybrid Estates - oldtoffee

At a guess and generalising quite a bit, I'd say estate drivers do more miles and more long journeys with more weight in the car. A hybrid in most cases is less economical for this type of driving than a diesel lump which you'll find in a higher percentage of estates than other types. I don't think drag coefficients explain it, I remember many moons ago Volvo racing estates in the BTCC and one reason they reckoned was better aerodynamics than the saloons.

Hybrid Estates - jc2

Most estates have LOWER Cd. than saloons- it's the length of unbroken bodywork that's good.And it's not worth producing multiple bodystyles for a relatively low number of sales.BTW it's not just the body-it can also be suspension,exhaust,fuel tank and a number of other items.Also most EU sales of estates are Uk and Germany.The % sold in other EU markets is very low.

Edited by jc2 on 26/04/2012 at 11:27

Hybrid Estates - madf

The "longer disatnces" argument for estates does not hold up - Prius are usually company cars due to BIK - lots with 100k miles in 3 years.

Remember the estate has largely been superceded by a 5 door hatch... and with regen braking etc a different drivetrain may involve significant reprogramming of ECU and control gubbins on a hybrid - all inter-related.

Not an easy or cheap job and ? worth while .

You can always buy a Lexus SUV hybrid :-) .. or a few others...

Edited by madf on 26/04/2012 at 11:50

Hybrid Estates - veryoldbear

You can't get a wardrobe in a 5-door hatch.

Hybrid Estates - puckdrop

Toyota have the new Prius + 7 seater, which is the nearest to an estate from Toyota.