2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Sport - Steering Problem - freegy57

My Mazda 6 with 10k mainly local miles from new, has developed a steering fault chiefly at low speed where the steering wheel falls dramatically to the right, sometimes to the left, when affected by camber or the slightest uneven surface - occurs less often on the motorway under the same road conditions, pulling right. Main dealer has had the car 3 times, the latest for several weeks and claims to have replaced the steering rack, checked tyres and had it digitally tracked 6 times, but the car continues to drive the same. They say they can find no technical problem with the vehicle and it drives like any other Mazda 6. Frustrated enough to consider getting rid, despite the loss. Is there any likely cause that they could have missed?

Edited by freegy57 on 19/04/2012 at 22:06

2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Sport - Steering Problem - Peter.N.

What does he mean by 'checked the tyres'? Uneven tyre wear can cause this problem, you can check simply by looking them, if you put a screwdriver in each section of the tread, or a coin would do, slide you fingers down until they touch the surface of the tyre and repeat this across the width and see if the tread depth is equal across the tyre. You could try swapping the front and back tyres.

If there is a fault on the car it could be that the camber angles are incorrect, again this is easy to check, park the car on a level surface and put a spirit level vertically across the outside of the front tyres, they should lean very slightly inwards at the bottom, the ammount doesn't matter as much asit being the same on both sides.

2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Sport - Steering Problem - madf

1. Your Mazda dealer appears incompetent.

2 Find a tyre service place with laser four wheel tracking and camber checking (ATS). Get them to check the car.

Has the garage checked for broken springs?

Thanks Madf - I'll reserve judgement on your first point, for now at least. Point 2 - assured that this has been done before and after fitting the new rack and all is perfect. I've now managed to convince another main dealer somewhat further away to give me a second opinion - I'll put point 3 to them when they pick the car up next week.

Thanks for your time Peter. The wear certainly appears even and they swopped the tyres around as first resort prior to fitting the new rack. I'm a man without a spirit level (scandalous I know) but will put the point to another main dealer who has agreed to give me a second opinion next week.

2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Sport - Steering Problem - ChannelZ

Frustrated enough to consider getting rid, despite the loss. Is there any likely cause that they could have missed?

Bet it's running Bridgestone Turanza tyres? They tramline like no other tyre when they get low on tread.

I'm betting changing the front tyres will totally cure the problem. My Mondeo was the same on worn Bridgestone Turanza ER300 - replaced them with Pirelli P7 and it now drives sweet as a nut.

Thanks ChannelZ - running the original Dunlop Sport 2050 with plenty of tread left; nothing appears out of the ordinary, unfortunately.

2010 Mazda 6 Estate 2.2D Sport - Steering Problem - unthrottled

replaced them with Pirelli P7 and it now drives sweet as a nut.

How do you find the Pirelli P7s for road noise?