Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - plumajp
Purchased a 2003 focus tdci from a trader for 2k.

2 weeks into owning it and 250 miles and the dual mass is rattling like hell.

I've phoned the trader and he wants me to take it to his mechanic to get his opinion.

When I take it there I would like to be clued up on who is responsible for the repair. A few friends who are traders say that he has to fix it under statutory 6month consumer protection etc but from reading previous posts and the faqs I'm getting mixed signals.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - bonzo dog

The question is should a DMF on a 9 year old car last more than 2 weeks & 250 miles?

Only the courts can answer that but my view would be that they would say yes it should. If so the retailer is responsible for the costs.

If he says no (& assuming the DMF has failed) then threaten to go legal & do so

Good luck

Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - outlier

Ah but is "rattling like hell" actually a breakdown..? And what is "rattling like hell"..? That could be subjective, many people I know would say that all diesels "rattle like hell".

Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - skidpan

What warranty did you get with the car. Unless you bought it specifically without a warranty (sold as seen) you should be fine but with a 9 year old car things break and if I was in the trade I would be very careful about giving fully comprehensive warranties on cars that old.

Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - plumajp
I bought it with no mention of warrantee or guarantee. The sales invoices has a small paragraph at the bottom saying that there is no warrantee implied or given.

When I rattling like hell. It's not the engine. I've been around cars for 22years and I've ha a DMF fail on my Mondeo st tdci so I am familiar with the noise.
When the clutch pedal is pressed the noise is at its worst and when released it sounds like a light release bearing rumble. Now and again with clutch pedal released this can't be heard but it's not very often.

I agree with a previous comment, major mechanical fault doesn't really cover a noisy DMF but I am afraid if I leave it and I go past my 6months and the DMF destroys itself with bell housing and possibly the crank then the car is ruined and I definitely have to door the bill.

I am taking the car to the dealers garage next week so will see what kind of offer the traders puts my way. He was a nice chap I just hope things don't go sour.
Ford focus tdci 2003 - 03 focus tdci fly wheel prods. Will trader rectify - ChannelZ
I bought it with no mention of warrantee or guarantee. The sales invoices has a small paragraph at the bottom saying that there is no warrantee implied or given.

As far as I know, that's not worth the paper it's written on. He's a trader, he sold a car, it's up to him to ensure it wasn't sold with a fault. You have 6 months to go back to him if the car is faulty. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

That's exactly what I have been told by a few friends in the sole car trade business but there are a few topics on here where people say 50/50 for the repair etc so I guess I'm going to have to wait until the trader puts his proposals on the table and take it from there.