S-Max v VW Passat - cilvilservant

Hi

Looking to replace my V50 as we have outgrown it. Have whittled down my choices to one estate or MPV. Am looking at new facelift versions.

I like the look of the S-Max and think it's the more practical of the two but I'm afraid I have never liked the Ford brand but equally, I am prepared to take the risk. The running costs does worry me though. The Passat is in the lead at the moment especially as VW appear to have rectified earlier problems, and do have a better build quality. But would I be limilited with the space, although the boot is HUGE.

The S-Max on the other hand, appeals due to the 3 full size seats in the middle row, and I have said to the wife that she could sit between our two boys in their car seats and entertain them on long journeys - which we do. We have two boys in car seats (and subsequent double buggy) and a dog.

Think all will fit in both cars.

Does anyone have any views on the new Passat or S-Max? Please...!

Thanks.

S-Max v VW Passat - Avant

Best for you and your wife to try each of them out on a long test drive and see which you prefer to live with. The Skoda Superb estate has the same engine range as the Passat and has even more room in the back: if I were you I'd add it to the shortlist.

If you need 7 seats then it's the S-Max every time.

S-Max v VW Passat - craig-pd130

You do get the flexibility of extra seating in the S-Max (of course, using 6 or 7 seats eats into boot space) but as said above, take a careful look at one before deciding.

I was considering one precisely because of the flexible seating, but personally didn't like the interior or the rear seats.

I went for a Mondeo IV estate instead (same floorpan and powertrain). The Mondeo is VAST inside with a boot that swallows anything, has excellent ride and noise suppression on standard 55-profile tyres, goes pretty well and is reasonably economical in 2.0 TDCI form. I averaged 42.5mpg in 3.5 years and nearly 40K miles from new - not bad for a 1.6 tonne barge that was driven, er, positively. I had no problems at all apart from a blown brake light bulb.

People have criticised the Mondeo for being 'too big', but really it's no bigger than a Passat / 5-series estate. I also looked at the new Passat estate, and to me it was very similar to the Mondeo: I found very little to choose between them.

Have you considered a V70 with the D3 5-cylinder diesel? I'm now running a V60 D3, and it's brilliant, in my opinion. The engine puts it in a completely different class to the 4-cylinder diesel herd -- it's SO punchy and has given me nearly 46 genuine mpg over the past 10K miles.

The V60 is criticised for having a small boot, but it's misleading: on a recent family holiday (2 adults, 3 kids), all the stuff that used to fill the Mondeo's boot went easily into the V60 without leaving anything out or having to put it in footwells.

S-Max v VW Passat - Happy Blue!

I am very very happy with my S-Max. I prefer the raised driving position over a regular car and the flexibility of 5, 6 or 7 seats is very handy with a growing family. Take the family with a friend for each child and the dog - take one car!

VW reliability is no better than Ford and probably a bit worse for some models.

S-Max v VW Passat - Bobbin Threadbare

That S-Max looks like a nice car - usually I find MPVs really ugly but Ford have done themselves proud on the styling. I like Fords - they're pretty reasonable to run and fix, and common enough that nobody will look to nick them.

S-Max v VW Passat - cilvilservant

Thanks all.

Went to take a clloser look today at the S-Max (again) and noticed the boot is a little high and not completely flat from the bumper - this would make it too awkward for the poor arthritic dog to enter and exit the vehicle. The wife simply doesn't like the Mondeo so that's ruled out.

We liked the Superb but there's limited supplies, compared to Passats etc.

Sorry to the OP who suggested the V60 but I still think the boot is too small! It's not that much bigger than the V50, which we have outgrown. I did look at the V70 and this would be perfect, but we have had too many "gremlins" with the V50 to consider buying another Volvo. Yes, we had a DMF failure (that was a Ford component) and I know this can occur with the majority of modern diesel engines, but our experiences of the V50 has tainted our opinion of Volvos. Although the XC60 does appeal......

Okay, thanks again, the Passat is still in the lead then!

Edited by cilvilservant on 03/04/2012 at 15:48

S-Max v VW Passat - Sam49

Avensis Tourer has a flat floor in the back (no transmission tunnel hump). Worth looking at? Not sure how wide they are.