Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - mmarsh

Hi All

Long story short. I am an American living in France, and I could really use some help I need to buy our first car.

As my US permit is not valid here, I cannot legal drive yet in France so my wife is going to handle the chauffering details until I get my French Drivers license. Neither of us have a ton of driving experiance

We need the following:

1. We prefer some sort of MPV/SUV/Crossover over hatchbacks for 2 adults and a future baby.

2. Must have a good sized trunk (boot)

3. Must be a automatic tranmission this is a strict requirement

4. Must be easy to drive (for begineers) cheap to run, reliable and not too powerful in order to keep auto insurence prices down. Also needs to be safe for passengers (baby)

5. 20000 EUROS MAX. No more than this as I full expect the car to get banged up and dont want to by an expensive one only to see it destroyed.

I have drawn up a short list of some possibles, with some price ranges as this is French market

C3 or C4 Picasso (either semi or full automatic gearbox). (17000 Euros new C3 19000 Euros used C4)

Renault Grand Scenic III (18500 Euros for slightly used)

Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI DSG (new 20000-24000) Euros

other?

I would obviously preferred used but it looks like I have to consider new because the French do not like Automatic gearboxes and thus they are harder and more expensive.

A new C3 Picasso is smaller car but slghtly less expensive than the others.

What would you do in my situation can you all

Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - Avant

If you go for the Picasso, make sure you either get a fully automatic transmission or vcan live with the semi-automatic box that some versions have. I haven't driven one but road tests say they can be jerky. The DSG fitted to Skodas and other VW Group cars has a dual clutch set-up and is much smoother.

French cars can be good but are more vulnerable to abuse by previous owners, so if possible buy one new. The advantage of Citroen, Peugeot or Renault for you is that in France there will be lots of dealers: is there a Skoda garage near you?

Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - Ed V

I think I'd think seriously about a second hand Honda CRV of some type. Reliable, roomy and with plenty of choices of engine. For that money, you would get a great one nicely run in and 2 years old, and still have some cash left for the Folies Bergeres.

I don't about the dealer situation in France, but I'd guess once you've bought it, you won't need to see them too often!

Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - Trilogy

My brother has a C4 Picasso with auto transmission. It's jerky and as a car lacks the solidity of the Yeti. Personally, I'd test drive them all and then make a decision.

Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - gordonbennet

As an American you will no doubt be used to real automatics that drive smoothly and properly and last the life of the car whilst giving not a moments trouble.

The type of auto's fitted to many European cars are not from that stable, some are automated manual, some twin clutch autos and some CVT types. BMW MB Kia Hyundai and a few others still offer proper autos.

As said you really will have to try whats on offer, and i don't mean 3 miles down the easy going dealer test route and back, use it in traffic, do some close manouevres and some hill starts, but especially pay attention to how it behaves at junctions when you approach expecting to stop then when down to a few mph can get going again, most auto manuals cannot cope adequately with this.

Do not expect semi auto versions or others to be as reliable and durable as a good torque converter auto.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/03/2012 at 06:29

Audi A4 Allroad - First Time Buyers help - Happy Blue!

Sounds like a job for Kia Sportage or Hyundai ix35.

Alternatively, I would avoid the 4x4 route and look at the Ford C-Max.