Renault Megane - Owner experiences of Megane MK3 - Xileno

Hi

I’m interested in hearing from anyone who is running a Megane MK3. We used to have a Megane MK2 dCi but due to a change in commuting arrangements it made sense to only have one car and our Focus was newer so we kept that.

But now it’s time to change again so it’s either another Focus or one of the new Meganes.

We are not interested in diesel since annual mileage is low and I don’t want all the hassle of particulate filters.

Only interested in Megane MK3 please, I know the MK2 was a mixed bag, although ours was fine apart from those cursed window regulators.

What are the good and bad points about your Megane MK3?

Renault Megane - Owner experiences of Megane MK3 - Auristocrat

See Carole4X4's comments under the post 'Renault - dealer reductions'.

Edited by Auristocrat on 19/02/2012 at 12:02

Renault Megane - Owner experiences of Megane MK3 - Carole4X4
I have to admit my experience of the Megane 3 is of the 1.5 dci eco2 version and therefore has problems with the DPF.

On the car in general I feel it is a much better car to drive than the new or previous focus. It's more of a drivers car in my opinion ( ex motoring journalist and racing driver by the way) and wants you to keep pushing it harder, it rarely loses grip in the corners no matter how hard it's pushed and there is minimal body roll. The ride can be a little firm and 'jiggly' at slower urban type driving but settles down well as speed increases. Its my own opinion that anyone with a bad back will suffer driving in towns and on urban 30 or 40 mph routes but would be fine on motorway journeys.
Space in the boot is vast and better than the focus plus the rear seat bases flip out allowing the seat backs to fold completely flat creating a really cavernous space for a family hatchback. Rear seat passengers over 5ft 9 may find headroom tight but leg/knee room is more than adequate, the focus is about the same but obviously you need to test for yourself on that score.

Big question is would I have another.

Answer is actually yes in petrol but a definite no in diesel, I would. Ertainly prefer the renaultsport to the focus rs. On the downside is that Renault UK don't want to know if anything goes wrong so you need to be sure your dealership is better than the distributor. The final disappointment I find with the dci is the fuel economy, I usually beat the manufacturers claims but can't get anywhere near with the Megane ( best I have had is 42.6 on a run of over 100 miles on cruise control in 6th at 74 mph - car wont take 6th without labour ing at less than 72-74 mph)

Hope my review of the 11 plate Megane 3 is of help.

Carole
Renault Megane - Owner experiences of Megane MK3 - Happy Blue!

I have justed rented a Scenic Mk3 petrol auto in Switzerland on winter tyres. No idea what engine, but seems reasonably powerful even with a family of fice and luggage on board. Not especially economical, even at cruising at about 70mph (no better than 28mpg), but comfortable and spacious.

Interior trip was of adequate quality but not as good as my S-Max and the arrangement of the controls was far less logical than the Ford, with lots of leaning forward and shifting from side to side to reach or find switches and buttons.

If I was buying a five seat MPV, I would consider one, but would have to be convinced about long term reliability and its ability to survice attack from three children before a moved away from Ford.

Renault Megane - Owner experiences of Megane MK3 - Xileno

Thanks for the replies. I won't be getting diesel, our annual mileage is only 5000. We are lucky to have an excellent local Renault dealer who have kept us going when there has been the odd problem.

At the moment I am leaning towards the Megane Coupe. I shall be going back to the dealer on Saturday. It certainly seemed well screwed together and a level of quality massively ahead of the MK2 we ran.