VW build quality strikes again - midlifecrisis
Yes, the Passat I can't afford to change (because of the mythical 'rock solid' residuals) has now failed again. The display for the trip computer has just failed. This is on top of the recently failed dash lights and the dash that sounds like it is about to fall off. Motoring journalist constantly harp about 'bomb proof' build quality. I think mine has exploded again.
I never, never suffered these problems with my pervious Fords or Rovers.
If your thinking of buying a VW-------- DON'T.
MLC
VW build quality strikes again - Big John
PS. Failed dash lights and trip computer at similar times, sounds like you are an earth connection short of a full set!!! Water leak?
VW build quality strikes again - simonsmith473©
A failed dash light hardly makes it crap build quality. VWs aren't as good as when they were only made in Germany.
VW build quality strikes again - Indy
Any idea as to where the VW's that we get are made? Are they Spanish built?
VW build quality strikes again - jud
Some Golfs are S.African made, before i bought the A4 i drove 6 different models of the golf, the 1.8t GTi was ok, all felt solid on the road, but i noticed a few trim faults that convinced me that the build was not as good as the then Primera i had nor was the handling. Most irritating was that empty slot in the middle of the dash,(what you get with out the sat nav.)
On top of that the cars were overpriced, even the second hand prices were a joke. I then happened to look at the A3 straight over the road from the VW showroom, the quality difference was immediately noticeable ok so is the price, unfortunately the car was just too small for my purpose.
All this was back in 2000, now you can get a Golf 1.4 for 10k, worth buying i would say providing your expectations are realistic.
No panel rattles on the Primera or the A4.
VW build quality strikes again - simonsmith473©
The local dealer told me a lot are made in Spain.
VW build quality strikes again - Cyd
Mate of mine (a automotive chassis engineer by trade) had a Passat 1.8T estate for 3yrs and did 85k in it. Said he didn't think they were up to the hype. Its suspension was soggy, it used loads of oil, and creaked like mad.
VW build quality strikes again - Richard Hall
As far as I can remember, the only 1980s VW that got really good reviews when it was new was the Golf GTI. All the others were seen as stodgy, under-equipped and over-priced. Their true qualities didn't start to show until about 12 years old, when people realised that they weren't rusting or falling apart, unlike Fords, Vauxhalls, Renaults etc from the same era. I wonder whether this will still be true of today's VWs in 2015.

Richard Hall
bangernomics.tripod.com
VW build quality strikes again - FergusTheDog
I had a new Golf for about 18 months (I know, I'm better now). Build quality was absolutely hopeless, everything rattled, the central locking worked when it liked, the door mirrors went in any direction they liked, four stereos.... boot full of water when it rained.... On delivery there was so little oil that there was nothing on the dipstick. New clutch at 5000 miles.... etc, etc...

VW dealer didn't give a flying and the depreciation was dire - another myth destroyed.

I was going to buy an A4 Avant (new one) but having driven a 1.9TDI where everything shook, the tailgate trim rattled continually and the glovebox flew open at every bump I didn't. Audi going the same way...?
VW build quality strikes again - memyself-aye
Cannot understand the lure of all this Tuetonic tin when all they appear to do as fall apart faster than one of our esteemed Deputy Prime minister's traffic congestion promises.
Happy to report that my 18 month 26,000 VW-BR (Very Well Built ROVER) has had no new clutch, no rattles, no squeeks, no water ingress, no errant electrics, no worries realy..
How did the advert go...."If only everything in life was as reliable as a volkswagen" hee hee hee.
VW build quality strikes again - jud
Fergus its the crap diesel that everyone seems to rave about, i had one on loan (130 bhp)when my 1.8t Quattro was in for service, the pedals vibrated along with the steering wheel,the tickover was sounded like big ben and the wife claimed her seat vibrated (but looked happy enough).
A kindred spirit at last! Someone else with the guts to acknowledge that the 4 cylinder VAG diesel ain't very good. The A4 1.9 TDi is truly a good car spoiled by a crap engine.

Thanks
VW build quality strikes again - googolplex
I read somewhere that Passats are made in the most inefficient factory in Europe which I found somewhat surprising. I must admit that I have reservations about this engine - my mate has the 130BHP in a passat estate and it isn't the quietest machine on the road. That wouldn't bother me if it was reliable and this it so far has been.

Splodgeface
VW build quality strikes again - andymc {P}
Got to add my tuppence worth here. I drive a Seat Leon TDi, the 110 bhp engine. As a VAG hatch, it shares/has shared components, chassis and engines with the Golf/Bora, A3, Octavia and probably others within the group. That said, I wouldn't consider buying a Golf, Bora or Passat! I've had the Leon for a year from new and 19k miles and in that time, I've had to get a faulty injector pump replaced under warranty. Nothing else. I really do like the engine, it's quite zippy and yet still frugal, and apart from tickover at stationary I usually can't hear it any more than a petrol engine. Whether waiting at the traffic lights or driving at speed, I've never had to raise my voice to have a conversation. I certainly haven't experienced the trim rattles, vibrating steering wheel etc that have been described here. Any reviews, anecdotal evidence, satisfaction surveys etc seem to back up my experience - I can't recall reading anything which slated the Leon in terms of build quality or refinement. Pretty much the same is true for the Skoda Octavia.

It leads me to wonder if VAG build standards are just not as high in Germany/South Africa/wherever as they are in Spain or the Czech Republic. I also wonder whether the uprated power of the 130 PD engine over the 110 TDi is really worth it - I don't feel the need for greater power in my current car, and I've heard a lot about the PD engine being much coarser than the older one. I'm starting to have doubts about upgrading to the new one when it's released ....
VW build quality strikes again - Dave_TD
FWIW I don't find any problems with vibration through the wheel, pedals or anywhere else in my Octavia 1.9SDi, on a quiet night I've even been known to sneak in a little snooze with the seat leant back and the engine running! To put this into context though, I've run only diesel cars for the last 6 years, so I'm not fully up to date with how smooth the latest petrol models are as a benchmark.
When the car was brand new I found it to be the first new vehicle of any make that I'd seen which had NO faults whatsoever, everything fitted and worked exactly as it was supposed to. It had a recall at 8 months old for a new ABS pump, and apart from tyres and brake pads it's had nothing unusual done to it in 18 months, and there seems to be nothing "on the way out" either. It still performs like it did when new, it gives me the same economy, and it still hasn't started using oil yet. At the moment I can't see any reason not to change it for another one when it's 3 years old. Mileage now 132,000.
VW build quality strikes again - Nortones2
Having driven over 100 000 using the VW 1.9tdi engines (Audi 80 90hp, Passat 110hp) I don't recognise the description given re vibration,noise etc by some! Passengers have been unaware of the diesel engine except to comment on the lack of noise. I prefer the lower revs and the pulling power. Both have been very good touch wood. Dealer service on VW is something else tho'.

I know some petrol engines are good (Honda Prelude and Civic dohc i-vtec etc which I have driven briefly) and fun to redline, but not for long runs in my opinion. Far too low geared. However, each to his own.
VW build quality strikes again - Ben79
The Audi 80 wouldn't have had the PD engine that the new VWs have. I think it is that engine that is coarse in comparison to Peugeot Citroens HDI engines.

Ben
VW build quality strikes again - JohnM{P}
Likewise, neither my Audi80 90bhp, nor my 110bhp Passat vibrated.
The Passat at 130000+ has no creaking or rattling trim.
Our M-reg old Passat estate 90bhp diesel was a bit of a rumbler though..

Diesel Car magazine has often commented that the VAG TDi engines do vary in noise and vibration from car to car (same model) more than other engines.

VW build quality strikes again - HF
Just adding to DTD's point - I dont have any vibration problems either, with an Astra 1.7D.
HF
VW build quality strikes again - madf
I had an A4 110 TDI.

No creaks, rattles (apart from suspension arms replaced at 80k) but engine was very noisy around town. OK for long journeys.

Frankly the noise was so wearing around town - which is 80% of my journeys - I gave up and bought a Fiesta. Much quieter.

I tried a 130.. even worse.

Conclusion: OK for high mileage driving. BUT carp for short journeys. And very expenisve part and servcing. Not worth the premium you pay as it was not much fun to drive - although very comfortable..

Would I buy another VW diesel? No. The 2.5TDI in the A4/A6 is even worse..

madf
VW build quality strikes again - Mr Fox
Two of my neighbours have Golf Mk IVs and neither of them have anything good to say about the cars or the dealers.

the first one, Made in Brazil,has been back 27 times, and been off the road for nearly 5 weeks for the following faults:

New Gearbox at 50 000 miles

Coolant leaks

New Stereo

Central locking Faulty

Pulling to the left ( 8 times ) still not better

Not staring due to fault with the Key / transponder unit

Faulty Headlamps burned out the wiring.

Squeaks / rattles from Dash.

And has lost over £5000 value in one year

The second would make a lovely home for fish due to the number of waterleaks.

People only pay over the odds for VWs because they expect trouble free motoring and good residual value, in this case the cars are total crap and the dealers couldn't give a toss.
VW build quality strikes again - jeds
Isn't it funny, even though you obviously can't judge any car by one experience, or even a couple of likminded experiences, I still absolutely condemn all Peugeot 106 1.5D's cause my wife had one once that was complete rubbish and cost us a fortune. Even funnier (not the ha ha type) She now has a Polo which is completly and utterly reliable - which must obviously prove that all Polo's, or even all VW's, are brilliant.
The point being made is the disappointing ownership experience and the dirge spouted by motoring journalist. I bought my Passat due to promised 'rock solid' residuals. I knew that other cars were better to drive, but I thought I would avoid the shock I experienced when I part ex'd my Mondeo.
However I find that my car has lost £5000 in six months. If I'd bought the car new I would expect this, but my car was 14 months old when I bought it. The irritating faults regarding the interior build quality are a major disappointment. I guess I just expected to much. I do know that I'll never buy another VW and fully intend to return to a mainstream manufacturer wwhen the time comes to change.
VW build quality strikes again - Cardew
This latest thread is a continuation of a theme in the Backroom that VWs are badly built and unreliable. Yet Skoda, Seat & Audi are all super cars.

Well motoring journalists(and Which) do knock the dynamic qualities of some VAG cars but are almost unanimous in their praise for the build quality of VW. I can see there is an argument(but do not accept it) that VWs could be assembled to lower standards than other VAG cars. However most of the components are the same - unless VAG keep the lower quality items for VW!

I would be interested in the calculations that conclude a Passat bought when 14 month old has depreciated by £5,000 in 6 months - and yes I am aware of the VW price cuts on new Passats.
VW build quality strikes again - Keith S
Pulling to the left can sometimes only be cured by new tyres. Not just by correcting the wheel alignment.
VW build quality strikes again - dundrivin
I've been a VW customer for around 10 years now, with 2 Mk 3 Golfs (1.4 CL, GTi 16V) and 2 Mk4s (1.4E, GTi 1.8T) in that time, all new from the same main dealer.

Overall opinion? Fairly reliable, but more warranty work than expected. Current GTi 1.8T is probably the best, so perhaps they are getting better with practice. Running costs have been reasonable, however I do tend to change cars by 4 years 60k miles. Residuals have proved good over the time too.

The dealer has been pretty good overall, it helps to get a good salesman. Mine has been keen to build a long term relationship and has been very helpful in organising repairs etc.

I've recently taken the plunge and bought an Audi A4 Avant 2.5 tdi Multitronic.

I must take issue with earlier postings - the 6 cylinder engine is powerful and quiet and the drive is very smooth. Build quality is superb and after nearly one year and 15,000 miles, there is nothing to report at the next service.

Previous car owning, mainly Peugeots, were a disaster, so I'm happy with my choice so far.

VW build quality strikes again - volvod5_dude
>>The 2.5TDI in the A4/A6 is even worse..

madf,

Both my brother and brother-in-law own Audi A4 2.5TDI diesels, both engines are noisy on tickover and sound like vans when they pull away, not very good IMO for so called luxury cars.

They are both amazed how quiet my Volvo D5 engine is.

VD5D.
VW build quality strikes again - tnt
i cant believe you call this engine. ask any taxi driver how good it is. wife has 130000mile audi 80 tdi a bit noisey but sound. i have just bought mk4 golf tdi 90hp a lot quieter, and goes well enough.
you do realise it is a diesel dont you.
VW build quality strikes again - shoei
I am having a nightmare with my Golf 1.6SE bought in July 2002. 7000 miles 10 trips to the dealer and eighteen faults, Water leaks into rear foot well, Rough running of engine on two seperate occasions, oil pressure switch faulty, odometer reading incorrectly, binding trim on clutch pedal, cd player not working, squeaks, creaks, rattles from over 10 places in cabin, very stiff and notchy gearbox, toothed belt replaced on engine, Hesitation under acceleration above 4,000rpm, Heated washer jets froze?, and even more rattles and squeaks. Been a VW owner for over 10 years and know many people with VW cars and they are with me in saying quality has gone into freefall, especially with the Golf. I have a meeting with the VW dealer manager to see what he has to say about the so called relability reputation of VW. Would I buy another? NO thankyou,I have had about enough stress about this car and will look elsewhere, Sorry Volkswagen !!!!!!
Dear Cardew, the sums add up like this. In June 2002, 01 'Y' 1.8T SE were on sale on many VW forecourts for £14995. (I know because I looked at a lot of dealers.) While trawling around numerous other dealers trying to part-ex mine, I find the book price is £10200. The cars value has sunk faster than a mafia informer in lead boots.
MLC
VW build quality strikes again - frmarcus
I've had a brand-new Polo 1.2 (65) for a couple of weeks. OK, it's very early days, but I have to say that I'm impressed with the smoothness of the engine, quality feel of the gear-change and general 'solidity'. No complaints at all - yet. I'm sorry to hear of others' negative experiences: I bought a VW as my first private buy (had been using a Vauxhall Corsa company car) because of reputation...
frmarcus
VW build quality strikes again - Cardew
Dear MLC,
A quick trawl of the VW website shows four 1.8t Passats. A 2000 for £11,995, two 2001 'S' models for £12,600 & £12,900 and a 2001 'SE' for £13,995.

I note you did not say you paid £14,995 and I suggest few people who know anything about cars pay VW dealers forecourt prices - unless they get a vastly inflated price for their part ex.

Your valuation of £10,200 is below any trade valuation I can find unless it has done huge mileage.

It would appear that in your valuations you are not comparing 'apples with apples' or perhaps you might feel the term 'lemons with lemons' more appropriate!

C
Neighbour's brand new Polo seen heading off to dealer on low loader this morning. He's gutted, thinks it's a pile of the proverbial.
Dear Cardew, most VW Dealers wouldn't budge from their price. I searched the internet and found one slightly cheaper (but not a lot). The valuation is correct. Parkers and other similar valuations are way out. I've seen the CAP book used by the trade which gives the value of £10200. This has been confirmed through numerous different dealers offering me that price as part-ex. The current Parkers valuation is £11995 trade-way off the mark.
Forgot to mention, my car has 16000 miles.
VW build quality strikes again - frmarcus
FergusTheDog: As I have a brand-new Polo, I'm intererested what went wrong for your neighbour's, if you know. Oh dear, I hope I didn't speak too soon (and today's stolen front reg plate isn't the start of a downward spiral...) Many thanks.
frmarcus
VW build quality strikes again - Dave_TD
(and today's stolen front reg plate isn't the start of a downward spiral...)

I bet you start getting pulled over in late February for non-payment of your congestion charge... :-)
Apparantly it is total failure of the diesel pump. While it is off the road (a month at least) he has about 20 other things that have to be fixed too.
VW build quality strikes again - shoei
With regards to my input dated 03/01/2003.After the meeting with the VW manager my Golf is being replaced by an identical one, the dealer Inchcape Volkswagen have been fantastic and I am looking forward to delivery, all be it early march, due to the optional extras.My faith in VW has been restored and hope my new one will be better than the last.It looks like VW are getting to grips with there customer care again."The customer comes first".
VW build quality strikes again - No Do$h
Fantastic result Shoei. Good to hear that the customer is heard from time to time.

I know we shouldn't congratulate Inchape for doing their job, but in the current climate of dealer snubs, I think a pat on the back is in order.
No Dosh - but then who has?
Thats good news! Maybe they're learning.... However, tomorrow, I'm going to place an order for a Civic type S. Competitors were Golf 1.8T, Focus tdci, Audi A2, Toyota T3 1.6

After road testing, these were our notes on the Honda:

+ reliability: very good record

+ + engine: responsive, smooth, tractable, but needs revving

+ + gears/clutch: light, quick, well placed shift

+ handling: good, but not on par with Focus. Not an issue

+ ride: acceptable

+ + access: easy entry and exit

+ new model

+ noise: (1 example noisy) 11/1: second example quiet.

- seats: might be uncomfortable long term. No lumbar-adjust

- appearance: 1 garish dash, 2 ditto instruments, 3 naff insignia 4 naff spoiler. 1 & 3 can be fixed. Garage to confirm before agreement made!

- durability: 6 year anti-rust only, but mechanicals/electric's A1

Maybe I'll return to the VW empire when they improve their dealerships here. Ah well, hope it's not out of the frying pan etc.
VW build quality strikes again - davo
When you get your Civic, keep a regular check on the oil, otherwise they blow up. Reason is that the variable valve timing uses oil pressure, which uses oil. No bad thing, just the way it is.

Good luck with it, nice car.
VW build quality strikes again - Godfrey H {P}
Regular Honda Vtecs don't use oil, only the go-faster ones do. Certainly the Civic type-R is noted for it
VW build quality strikes again - Godfrey H {P}
Regular Honda Vtecs don't use oil, only the go-faster ones do. Certainly the Civic type-R is noted for it
Thanks: yes I believe some have, but the manual says to check oil at each fill. So far, no oil consumption, at 1000m. Just started to take the engine right to max. revs/full throttle. Goes quite well, as a number of surprised people have found, especially as it gives no clues as to performance. Interior build so-so. However, as to the dealer: b***** useless! Delivered with a scar on the rear bumper. Obviously thought we were not going to notice it. Optional after-fit of tweeters: misfit on one, and rattles from door. Cause: door cards hanging off. Two attempts to remedy: now (yesterday) find gouged drivers door, and door-pull not fully home. Where do they get these buffoons? Back to see director this coming week, and letter to Honda UK will follow. I'd have got a Focus TDCI except it rattled, and now I have this malarkey. Profanities repressed, with difficulty!
Honda's not so pefect - davo
I bought a blue Jazz for my wife last year, was delivered with a 1" mark on the passenger door where the cleaning hose had whipped up against it. Dealer would not compensate at all for it so I rejected the car, quoting th ereleavnt section of the Sale of Goods Act, and got a full re-fund.
Honda's not so pefect - Nortones2
davo: well done. I did think about walking away when the faulty bumper was found, but didn't. They replaced the whole thing immediately, so I was reasonably placated, but had a horrible sinking feeling. That is now coming to fruit, evidenced by their shoddy service dept. Grounds for rejection seem very faint to me now 6 weeks have passed, however!
Honda's not so pefect - Godfrey H {P}
Interesting, I haven't had any problems with my Honda. Nevertheless the dealer didn't exactly impress me. More an "attitude" than anything else and I said so in the customer survey I received direct from Honda UK. Thinking about a Toyota next time because of this. Shame because the car is fine. I just don't feel very confident about how I would get on if there were any problems. Perhaps I've been spoilt by superb service from a smaller country garage. Alas no more, bought out by a bigger outfit for the sole purpose of shutting it down!