Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - Scarletfan89

Hi, I recently bought a 08 plate vauxhall corsa from a private dealer with 41,000 miles on the clock. It was bought in mid November and I was given a MOT certificate detailing work which had been carried out including brake binding. Within a couple of weeks, the brakes were binding and I took it back to the garage who sorted out. Today I was out driving and the power steering intermittently failed, It took me totally by surprise and I almost crashed. I got the car recovered to a local garage and they have informed me that I need the steering column replaced, which is £1000 +. Is the garage I bought the car from liable for the repairs? I also took out an autoguard warranty, I shall be contacting them tomorrow though after reading the forums I'm not expecting too much from them!

Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - Armitage Shanks {p}

http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithvehicles-sum6.cfm

Broadly speaking, if there is a problem within 6 months it is up to the deller to prove that it was not there at the point of sale SFAIK.

Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - skidpan

In my excitement I replied to the wrong thread.

Edited by skidpan on 02/02/2012 at 08:59

Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - chester37
did you pay cash or credit card?
Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - 1litregolfeater

The all-electric steering racks on the Corsas are surprisingly reliable, I'd be suspecting a duff battery or alternator.

Vauxhall corsa - Faults and where I stand - bonzo dog

Is the garage I bought the car from liable for the repairs?

Almost certainly, although whether they will agree or not is a different matter. If they don't then you will need to go legal via small claims court.

By the way, what is a

private dealer ?