Here's a challenge - eddie c

...or maybe I'm asking for too much?

I have £5K to spend. I do a round trip of 60 miles a day on A roads.

I'd like to get to and from work as cheaply as possible in something that is reasonably safe, cheap to tax , is reliable and will go for 5 years or more!

I have kids (2 of) and a wife (1 of) who will sometimes get in the car at the same time as me, we do have another car so hopefully this won't happen too much!

Any suggestions as to what is my best bet please ladies and gents?

Edited by eddie c on 29/01/2012 at 19:15

Here's a challenge - a900ss
Toyota Aygo.

Enjoy it.
Here's a challenge - Bobbin Threadbare
Toyota Aygo. Enjoy it.

I second that. My mum runs one. It costs next to nothing. £30 tax, sub £200 insurance, economical. Also very cute car. Surprisingly roomy.

Also worth considering is a Mazda 2. You can pick up an 1.3L 08-plate Mazda 2 with about average mileage for £4800. 1.0L Aygo is about the same actually, maybe a little more.

Here's a challenge - daveyjp
For cheap running an Aygo should be considered. You can expect 60+mpg on the A roads runs. £20 road tax, group 1 insurance, cheap parts and easy to service. Aircon is worth having as being small they steam up quickly in damp weather, especially with a full load of passengers.

Gah. I should have added I do a fair bit of fishing so it needs to be able to fit a 6ft rod section in, so seats must need to fold flat and have space for a chair and rucksack.

Thanks for the replies.

Here's a challenge - Avant

In that case the Aygo - which I'd have agreed with - may be a bit small. Mazda 2 possibly as above, but avoid Mazda diesels. Think about a Skoda Fabia: I'd say your needs are marginal between petrol and diesel but there should be plenty of Fabias with either type of engine to suit your budget.

Here's a challenge - jamie745

If all you're looking for is to get around as cheaply as possible then why shell out £5,000? The cheapest way to get around is to buy the cheapest, most economical thing you can find with an MOT and something vaguely approaching a service history, run it until it dies. If you're aiming to spend £5,000 i think you're looking for at least a little bit more than that.

I thought the Aygo was too small for somebody doing 15k+ a year before you made your second post. Whether you need a petrol or a diesel is up to you really, personally i think in this price bracket you'll get a newer petrol car for your money, probably with lower mileage which is more likely to tick the 'last 5 years' box.

Check out the Ford Fiesta. You probably wont get a pristine example of the newest shape for your budget but theres plenty of the previous model which are up for grabs. 2008 reg Fiesta's (just before the change to the new one) have plummeted in price. I've just seen a 57 plate on AT with 60k, 1.25litre, full service history, 5 door model. 45mpg+ should be possible on your sort of driving, £130 a year to tax and its up for £3,695. Buy it, tax it, fill it with petrol and you've still got change left over for if something goes wrong. Theres plenty of examples going very similar to it. You might get a TDCi model for that money (nearer 5k) on similar mileage. 55mpg+, £30 to tax but personally i'd prefer the 1.25 petrol to the 1.4TDCi

The great thing about it is its not a small car, the Mk V Fiesta 5 door is quite a big car. Not too small to be useless at carrying passengers and things but not too big that it feels excessive for a one person commute.

Edited by jamie745 on 29/01/2012 at 22:04

Here's a challenge - tony g
Hi, I would try to get a proper test drive in an aygo before you commit to buying one ,I bought one last year to sell on.

It seemed tinny and noisy to me ,I don't think they're the same quality as earlier toyotas ,it's not really surprising as they are largely the same car as the citroen c1 and the Peugeot 107.
About the same time I bought a new shape Clio diesel 06 ,we still have the car,my daughter runs it,we've had it about 6 months and had no problems with it.
It feels much more substantial than the aygo ,and altogether more of a car.

Tony g
Here's a challenge - Auristocrat
As an alternative to the Fiesta, how about one of the first generation Mazda 2's. The third model in the Fiesta/Fusion line-up. European 2's are were built by Ford in Spain - mechanically is all Fiesta (Ford engines, etc). Roomier than the Fiesta, with large tailgate and a low sill to the boot.. Five doors. 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 petrol engines. 1.4 diesel. As well as split folding rear seats, the backrest of the front passenger seat can fold forward over the seat base - easily accomodating your fishing rods I would have thought. Latest model would be a 2007/57 reg.

Edited by Auristocrat on 29/01/2012 at 23:14

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Currently running a 1.8 Avensis, W reg 160K on the clock which I've had 10 years

Getting murdered on fuel, but I can see the logic of keeping until it dies. It's the thought of 'bills' which ia killing me more than anything!

Here's a challenge - unthrottled

Currently running a 1.8 Avensis, W reg 160K on the clock which I've had 10 years...

...It's the thought of 'bills' which ia killing me

How so? If you have a £2000 problem on a £1000 car, you've only lose £1000-because you throw the car away.

If you have a £2000 problem on a £5000 car, you have to lose another £2000.

Enjoy the freedom while it lasts!

Here's a challenge - barney100
I had the same situation and plumped for Volvo. Reasons? They can go on for years and the diesels are frugal. Saloons can be had for reasonable prices and repairs and servicing can be done by indies.

Eddie C, it'll help if you tell us what your other car is: if it's a reasonable size, you can go for a small economical car for your commute.

But Unthrottled does have a good point - there is a strong financial case for keeping the Avensis until it goes expensively wrong. And if there's ever a car that can go soldiering on forever, it's an old Toyota (or an old Volvo).

1.4 Almera, 53 reg, 55K, althought that's 'her' car!

My avensis has been used for fishing and commuting which has really taken its toll on the interior and exterior, hence when I've suggested we swap I get short shrift.

Can't blame her really!

Clearly angling doesn't work with SWMBO!

So if your Avensis isn't exactly pristine, you wouldn't get much for it: so best to keep it untl it gets expensive, then look for as new a Fabia, Corolla/Auris, Focus or Mazda 2 you can get within budget. Or a Yaris 1.3 if your fishing tackle will fit into it: economical and more fun to drive than the Corolla/Auris.