1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - beanstalker

Although I currently run a 2007 Corsa this query is not about my present car. I am researching getting a later car and am doing all the usual reading etc. When I spoke with a salesperson at the Vauxhall main dealer he said that Vauxhall did not provide a spare wheel on any of their cars, not even a spacesaver, only a can of sealant. He said this dated back to 2010. There is no way I am going to buy anything second hand which does not have a full size spare wheel so it looks like it will not be another Vauxhall. Does anyone know which manufacturers do provide a full size spare wheel as standard up to 2009 /2010? Or are they all in this together and does no manufacturer do this? I have looked on the internet but the results are inconclusive. Any listings etc would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Beanstalker
1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - gordonbennet

Good point, i know that most Korean cars come with proper spare wheels, as do most Japanese cars....its the Europeans again, probably another EU plot..;)

If you read HJ's reviews section he often mentions with glee when a car sports a proper full size spare.

I'd like a list to be available too, can't see the makers who fill their full size spare wheel well with a load of foam packing, a toy pump and a can of goo being too keen on it becoming general knowledge though.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - RT

According to Vauxhall's website:- Full-size spare wheel (in lieu of emergency tyre inflation kit) is an optional extra.

I don't have a problem with it being extra cost on a new car, I just add that cost to the price for comparison - but I do object to cars which physically don't have room for a full-size spare.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - elekie&a/c doctor

An extra bonus for manufacturers that don't provide a spare wheel ,is you don't get a jack and wheelbrace either.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - bathtub tom

Even if you have a 'skinny' spare, what the hell are you expected to do with punctured tyre and wheel? MX5 springs to mind.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - jc2

Probably the same as a Porsche 911-you put it on the passenger seat(or their lap).

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - ChannelZ

My aunt just got a new Kangoo. Not only does it have no spare, there's not even the cage underneath to hold one.

On the other hand, the OH's i30 not only has a spare, but it's an alloy the same as the other wheels.

Why not just buy the Corsa, drive to a scrapyard and spend £50 on a spare wheel and jack etc out of an older, wrecked Corsa? Youll probably find all you need on eBay too.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - Railroad.

We need to remember here that the modern car is not built up to a standard, they're built down to a cost. It's not so much the cost of a full size wheel and tyre for the reason one isn't provided, it's the cost of designing and producing the space which would be required to accomodate it. The car manufacturers prefer this space to be utilised for luggage or for passengers, and not for spare wheels. Moreover this space to be eliminated completely, saving money and making the car cheaper and more competitve.

Consumers want more for less. We all like A/C, ABS, SRS, Bluetooth, iPod connection, Sat Nav, electric this, that etc. Well these features all add to the cost, and to keep the cost down something has to be compromised......

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - 1litregolfeater

I'm of two minds. One of them likes to have a spare, the other can appreciate how daft it is, lugging a big heavy spare around everywhere that you're only ever going to use once or twice.

Lighter weight is good, more fun, performance and economy.

Trouble with goo is, how long does it last? Years ago when it first came out I bought a can for my motorbike. Luckily I never needed it, when I got rid of the bike the can didn't work. If I had a can of goo I'd be worried.

1.2 Vauxhall Corsa 2007. - Non existent spare wheels - RT

The weight of a spare wheel is nothing compared to a full fuel tank.