Motorway speed lights - cabsmanuk
Half past four this morning I was heading down the M1/M25 to Heathrow.
Very little traffic, no fog/mist/spray/roadworks, good visibility. Flashing
lights recommend 50 mph. Turn onto M25, same conditions same flashing lights.
Why? My understanding is that they are advisiory and not compulsary. As I
kept up a steady 70ish speed could I have been done by the bill?
Motorway speed lights - Big John
The M25 overhead signs displaying he red bordered circular speed limit signs display the legal speed limit, some of them also contain speed cameras.
Motorway speed lights - dom grimes
I don't think you can be prosecuted for speeding when in an area controlled by speed advisory signals. what can happen is that if you have an accident and are speeding in these areas you can be prosecuted for either careless driving or driving without due care and attention - i.e. ignoring safety warnings

dominic
Motorway speed lights - alapppy
Hi

I also noticed these. The roads we dead quiet at 5.45 am a bit wet..but why the limits?
alan
Motorway speed lights - chris p crisps ©
Hi
I also noticed these. The roads we dead quiet at 5.45
am a bit wet..but why the limits?
alan

I also have seen advisory speed limits at odd times during very quiet times of the night, I can only think that they have been mistakingly left on from a previous accident.Perhaps control room operator fell asleep!!!

chris
Motorway speed lights - Dave_TD
As far as I am aware, the reason they set the little matrix signs to "50" is because there is a hazard of some sort up ahead, be it queuing traffic, debris in the road, poor visibility, a broken down car on the hard shoulder with children in it, any number of things. I don't necessarily slow down to 50 upon seeing one of these signs, but I *do* exercise greater caution and observation of what's ahead, and also what's behind in case I *do* need to take evasive action.
Most of the motorways are covered by CCTV now, it may be that (for example) a motorist pulls over onto the hard shoulder and turns all his lights off, gets out and opens the bonnet. (I've seen this happen!) The CCTV operator will despatch a patrol car to the scene, and flag up the 50 limits for a mile or two beforehand.
Motorway speed lights - matt35 {P}

Dave,
I have heard that the flashing lights on the side of the information screens flash like shaking or nodding your head?
Lights flashing side to side mean NO
Lights flashing up and down mean YES

Heard about this somewhere but have never seen it confirmed - any info from anyone?

Regards,
Matt35.

Motorway speed lights - matt35 {P}
PS - I wonder why HJ pulled my battery joke? It is still on the Jag site....Bad hat day?
Motorway speed lights - HF
oh dear matt - is that my fault - if so, I'm really sorry :(
HF
Motorway speed lights - Dynamic Dave
Yes Matt, watch out for HF, she's the part time moderator in Mark's absence :o)
Motorway speed lights - HF
Sorry guys,

:X

Motorway speed lights - Toad, of Toad Hall.
Yep advisory signals are a joke.

Was driving new years day in heavy rain. Couldn't see a thing.

50 limts were flashing I was doing 45 with wipers on full and I'd still say that was a bit to quick - I doubt I could see the full two seconds ahead and grip was a bit sparse. As if to prove my point a BMW had spun ahead of me leaving it's bumper and a load of debris in lane 2 and the main body of the car in lane 3.

I just about swerved onto the hard shoulder to avoid it - an extra 5 mph would have made things even more hairy.

By the same token often the 50's are on on the M23 in perfect contitions when you can see miles of clear motorway.

Advisory signals should be ignored. At best they warn you of a crash or a queue but you should be driving as though you were expecting obstructions anyway.

Same goes for real speed limits exctept the M25 variables which are about traffic management...

BTW happy new year all.
--
These are my own opinions, and not necessarily those of all Toads.
Motorway speed lights - Mark (RLBS)
Matt,

There is a Joke Thread. Since you couldn´t be bothered to find it and add your note there, I decided that neither could I and deleted it.