Renault 2002 Laguna II Expression 2.0 5 speed - Engine power loss under load and/or miss at idle - kentut

My Laguna has developed a random engine (management?) problem. Occasionally, while driving uphill, or starting from a standstill, the engine suddenly loses power. In the first situation, I have found that flooring the accelerator results in the car regaining power with quite a jerk. The car will continue to intermittently lose power for 2 or 3 km and then run OK. I recently drove the car about 300km before this happened - and this was at the top of a long climb. No warning lights or temperature issue.

If power loss happens when starting, depressing the clutch allows the engine to return to idle - ie, it doesn't stall, although it may idle roughly.

In response to a spark error code, the service agent replaced the 4 coil units - to no avail. The software was updated and the car driven until the problem recurred but no relevant errors were found. The agent then replaced the fuel pump - again with no improvement.

The problem occurs with the fuel tank full, nearly empty and in between.

The car has done around 66,000 km.

If the agent keeps replacing parts, eventually I'll have a new car - but I'm hoping that there is a cheaper solution! Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Renault 2002 Laguna II Expression 2.0 5 speed - Engine power loss under load and/or miss at idle - Fernando P

You have not disclosed if the above has got the infamous IDE engine. If so, there is a long history of such problems to be found eg on ren...lt f.rums.co.uk .

Renault 2002 Laguna II Expression 2.0 5 speed - Engine power loss under load and/or miss at idle - kentut

You have not disclosed if the above has got the infamous IDE engine. If so, there is a long history of such problems to be found eg on ren...lt f.rums.co.uk .

Thank you for replying. The engine number identifies it as an F4R and, from what I can gather, the DE engine is an F5R.

By the way, despite the problems, I averaged over 39 mpg (7.2 l/100km) on my recent trip which included lots of hills and windy roads (in Tasmania) with 2 passengers and heavy gear for half of the journey. So the car goes just fine most of the time.