Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - Rock1997

Hi,

I got a Nissan micra 53 which only has 40000 miles. Recently, I found the gears (1st, 2nd and 3rd) were hard to change when I started the car, sometimes the reversal gear too. But, this situation became better once I drove for a while. I was woundering the fluid has some problems. My car are normally parked outside during the cold night so that I would guess the fluid becomes thick and thin once the car has been warmed up.

Anyone has the same problem? Do I need to bring my car to the gauge or I could fix it myself?

Thanks.

Anyone know? I did search and it could be the oil problem as the oil is too thick for starting up and once the temperaute is up the oil becomes thin. in which case, changing gear becomes easily. I just guess.

Any experts?

Thanks.

Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - Peter.N.

You are quite right in your assumption that gear selection is more difficult when cold for the reason that you state, gear oil becomes very sticky when cold. Does it have the correct oil in it, has this problem always existed when the weather is cold or has it only just started?

Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - unthrottled

My car has the same problem. I put it down to worn synchros.

Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - Peter.N.

Possibly but that normally causes it to 'crunch'

I just found this problem recently as my car is normally parked outside during the night. There was no problem in the last few months. I am not sure the oil as the garage normally refill the oil for me when I did my service (I just did service this October).

Do I need to bring my car to garage again to check the oil or just drive it as normal?

Thx.

Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - Collos25

A garage check the gearbox oil level without asking I don't think so, normally stiff or crunchy gear changes are caused by a faulty or worn clutch.

I went ot garage and they told me the problem was the oil. Because of cold whether, the gear oil was too thick, therefore, they suggested me to warm up every time to let the oil becomes thin. Then, changing gear will smoother than cold engine. The clutch is fine as I only drive 40000 miles.

Missan Micra 53 - Gear is hard to change - injection doc

I would have the gearbox oil changed for a synthetic oil. I have dione this hundreds of times for customers where gear change is difficult cold. Its a great cure and make gear changing much smoother.

You say reverse is difficult sometimes, does it crunch ? if so its a clutch related issue.If reverse wont select but doesnt crunch just let the cluctch up and back down again to spin the gears up in the box as reverse doesnt have a synchro and sometimes the gears just butt up head on hence the difficulty.

If 1&2 or 3&4th are difficult this can be caused by a cracked synchro hub, common on Micra's as they are very thein alloy that cracks and it causes the hub tilt and hang up.