Phillips CD player goes quiet... - smokie
After being on reasonably loud for some time, the volume on my Phillips 660 dies down and cannot be increased. If I turn if off for a few minutes then back on it's fine. So I have a heat-related problem.

Is it likely to be something I can easily fix?
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - robert
Does this apply to the radio and cassette as well?
I didn't realise it had a radio or cassette, only use the CD!!!

I'll try then report back,...after next long journey
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - David Lacey
Sounds like a thermal cut-out tripping in.

Not had it myself, but the clues 'high volume' and 'long journey' point towards this

Junk the R660 and fit an MP3 enabled CD Tuner!
MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org/
Nice idea Dave, with over 4,500 MP3s it'd give me a fair bit of listening...

Would it be just the in dash bit I needed to change, i.e. does the autochanger stay, or does it become redundant? Presumably you burn MP3 CDs for it?

Yes, just the front end head unit - the autochanger will work aslong as it is the same make as the head unit. [If you see what I mean]

Personally, I have a single slot CD/Tuner/MP3 head unit and don't really have a need for a 'changer - what with 200+ tracks on one CDROM, where's the need?

Alpine CDA7893R gets my vote @ £280
MG-Rover Problems? forums.mg-rover.org/
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - Dave_TD
My Sony head unit had the same problem, after about an hour of use it would suddenly cut all volume from the speakers. The only remedy was to turn it off for about half an hour to cool down. Unfortunately IIRC Sony wanted so much money just to LOOK at it, let alone repair it, that I wound up buying a new unit.
With another Sony unit?

I hope not.......

MG-Rover Problems? Click on forums.mg-rover.org
Would changing the head end be a fairly easy swap on an Omega MV6? Wouldn't have a clue where to start...is it as simple as sliding out the old one, disconnecting, slipping in the new one, re-connecting?
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - Dynamic Dave
Smokie,

If you change the head unit for another one, apparantely you might have to have the stereo recoded to the separate display by Vauxhall.
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - zedzedeleven
and then you might find , (like I did ) that the new bit won`t talk to the old bit and a new annunciator panel is needed !
All of a sudden this is sounding more trouble than it's worth...
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - Dynamic Dave
you could try checking the circuit board for dry joints. Particularily around the aplification cicuit. The power transistors should be attached to either the chassis of the stereo, or to separate heat sinks. Make sure these are fixed down tight to disapate the heat. If the stereo goes quiet after a period of time, then this might be the cause.
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - greaser pv
I have the same "fault" in my new Zafira GSI CDR500 unit, is it the same set ? It is most annoying.
Mine is CCR600 I think...
Smokes,

I have a CAR400 which is the same set EXCEPT for the fact it dosn't control the CD changer. You are welcome to borrow it while you have yours fixed - send it back to Philips.

Contact me off net for more info.

Aye ......

Robert
Phillips CD player goes quiet... - Cyd
The instruction manual for my Philips 960 warns that if the unit gets too hot then volume will be severly limited until it has cooled down again. My Clarion also does the same. So too do my domestic Audiolab amplifiers.

If you play it loud for a while and /or have the heater on full it is likely to get hot. Try turning it down just a tad. Most amps are designed to give max volume with the knob turned only half to three quarters towards full. Alternatively try ducting some air to the heat sink on the unit.
Good idea, although I think the unit must be duff. I have the same model Omega as Smokie and have no problems with it - fingers crossed .......