Peugeot 406 2.01 GLX petrol X reg - car struggles to start in cold or damp weather - mountain lady

I bought this car second hand two years ago and it's a lovely car to drive in the summer, but come winter.... Last winter it was a nightmare. It could take me thirty minutes to get it started, and I don't have thirty minutes to spare first thing in the morning. I bought a new battery last winter which didn't help at all so it went off to the garage but the mechanic said he couldn't find anything wrong with it so I spent a horrible three months dreading every early morning start. Once it got going it could sit outside my office in the cold weather for seven hours and then start first time, but first thing in the morning - never

This morning there was a frost - not severe, just around -1C - and it's damp - result? Ten minutes to get the damn car to fire. It sounds as though it's trying to fire, but I'm very aware that I will flood the engine if I keep trying, so I wait five minutes then try again, then another five minutes etc. It is driving me nuts, and if we get another winter like last winter I'm going to be back to sobbing over the steering wheel. Does anyone have any suggestions before I send this car off to the scrappy which would be a shame because - as I said - in the summer it's a perfect car to drive.

Peugeot 406 2.01 GLX petrol X reg - car struggles to start in cold or damp weather - Peter.N.

I haven't run a petrol engine for many years but this sounds like a weak spark, I believe they have individual coil packs which may be faulty but we always used to improve starting by closing the plug gaps up a little.