Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - KB.
Hello and festive greetings.

Views sought on this one:-

HJ carried a recent feature on the KIA Carens Mini MPV. There have also been odd bits and pieces about the Picasso in the backroom.

You can buy a UK supplied diesel HDI SX Picaso from Carfile for about £11,000. You can pay about the same for a similar spec. Diesel Kia, but £11,000 is the list price. Which one would you buy? And why. Both cheap when compared to pretty well all the others. Which will be worth more in 3 years time. Which would you sooner drive? Trouble with the Kia might be the absence of dealers? Having said that, my nearest Citroen dealer isn't exactly local.
KB.
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - Baskerville
Berlingo/Peugeot Partner Combi is a good competitor for both of these. Bigger load space than either of them IIRC, three full size rear seats, and cheaper. You just have to get over the looks. I'd certainly go that way rather than the Kia.
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - Mondaywoe
Dunno what the Kia diesels are like but the Peugeot/Citroen HDIs are excellent. I'd buy the Citroen it for the engine!

Graeme
Thanks both.

So at present that's 2- nil in favour of Citroen. I should have made it clearer that the Picasso's £11,00 is about £3,600 less than list. I saw the new shape Berlingo Multispace at wwwbroker4cars at about £2000 off list - but you need to add ABS & aircon to bring it up to Picasso spec. - I estimated that you'd spend around £10,000 on the road to get the 2.0 Hdi Multispace with all the goodies (ABS, Aircon). Why is the Picasso so heavily discounted?

KB.
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - Ben79
Whatcar.com has a depreciation analysis, it shows the Picasso HDI SX to be worth more than the Kia 2.0 CRDT SE after 3 years. It depends what you think of the Picasso digital dashboard. I like it.

On paper, I suppose they are similar, but you will have to drive both of them to get a feel.

Ben
That does sound like a very good deal on the Picasso. I've been looking at these recently and the best I could manage from Citroen was 11,995 for the Picasso HDI SX. I found the Berlingo (the Peugeot version of it in fact) more fun to drive and less bus-like, though that's not to say the Picasso drives badly at all. The Berlingo/Partner just felt more precise and less cumbersome to me, maybe because it's slightly shorter and the wheels are nearer to the corners. The boot space with the seats in place is much more useful too because of the squarer body. The HDI engine is excellent in whatever vehicle--quite a revelation in fact.

You're going to have to try them, because it's down to what suits you best. But these vehicles (Picasso and Berlingo) are both very clever, innovative designs whereas the Kia, I suspect, is just keeping up with what's going on elsewhere. FWIW I'm going for the Peugeot Partner Combi. It would have been the Berlingo, but Peugeot offered me a 3 year 0% finance deal that will save me about £1200 in lost interest and make the actual cost (including ABS and aircon) just over £10,000.

Chris
Have you looked at wwwbroker4cars.co.uk?.......Berlingo 2.0Hdi Forte - 8479 + 510 A/Con + 553 Safetypack = 9542. Versus the 2.0 Hdi SX Picasso @ 11027 (or 10999 from Carfile). Both excluding metallic.
KB.
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - DavidHM
Interesting.

My money would be on the Picasso, for image, ease of resale and availability of parts.

I'm not sure what either is like to drive, although I doubt that either is anywhere near a Focus in dynamic ability.

This is based on style, economy (11mpg better), ease of resale (the Picasso, though not exactly a resale champion, is at least recognisable and therefore easy to sell at a fair price), and availability of parts, especially non OEM ones.

If you drove the Picasso and really hated it, then the Kia's not so bad you shouldn't consider it, but I reckon that after 3 years and 50k, the Kia should be worth £5,000 and the Citroën about £6,000. (Don't quote me on that though). Additionally, you'll save another £1,000 in fuel with the Picasso.

That makes the Citroën much cheaper in whole-life terms, plus you don't have to explain to the neighbours exactly what it is you've bought.
Thnks KB, yes I did. But metallic adds another 250-ish and then there seems to be a problem with the supply of Berlingo HDIs with options added (there was when I checked this out anyway, might not be now). Choice of colour might further delay things, apparently, but this isn't/wasn't the case with Pug. My suspicion is that PSA are shifting base model Berlingos cheap to get them on the road as quickly as possible without damaging the Peugeot brand--price differentiation in the Skoda/Seat/VW vein. Worth checking though. Too late for me anyway; we were prepared to pay a few hundred more to get exactly what we wanted. The plan is to keep it well beyond three years so it won't matter.

I was amazed by what you get for the money anyway.

Chris
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - Albert
Im looking to buy a new picasso in the next few weeks.

The best I can find is 1.6 SX with met paint and alloys. &10,240 onr with 1 year tax and HDI &11,399 same as 1.6.....

1/Whats the cheapest picasso I can buy...must hav a/c....

2/Is it worth paying the extra for the Diesel...

Any and all info most welcome....
Kia Carens / Citroen Picasso - Albert
I know they talking about no VAT now but can't belive prices will go up by that 17.5% 01Jan03...

Looks like Citroen need to keep the price low...

Any by the way this is a v cool site...Caio....