Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - notahope

I have an 08 reg diesel Renault and would like to buy a 59 or 10 reg to replace it possibly with a Kia Ceed SW but........I don't want one fitted with a particulate filter as my motoring wouldn't keep it clean enough.

So my question is is there a date when all diesels were fitted with a filter or is it a case of asking every time?

I'm using the net to search and ads rarely if ever mention it.

Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - Avant

I think most if not all modern diesels have a DPF for anti-pollution reasons. If your motoring 'wouldn't keep it clean enough', go for a petrol engine. The 1.6 petrol Kia Ceed is a good car.

Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - daveyjp
+1 to Avant's advice. I changed back to petrol earlier this year and haven't regretted it.
Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - signalts

We've got a 59 plate pre facelift Ceed SW diesel - I think the pre facelift cars (towards the end of 2009 front bumper and grille were the big changes) don't get the dpf. Ours does a mix of short and long runs and we've never had any issues at all.

As a car it's great, we've never a problem with it. Fuel economy is OK rather than brilliant (upto 50mpg or so). Performance great, interior space great. Ride and handling is OK on 17 inch wheels, far better on 16 inch wheels (we've just swapped from 17 to 16 inch and it was well worth it - Tyres a lot cheaper too!) Warranty is excellent, although we've not needed to use it.

I can understand the other comments relating to going petrol rather than diesel - We've got both petrol (1.4, 89bhp) and diesel (1.6, 113bhp) ceeds. In my mind the Kia warranty covers the potential problems of expensive repairs to a diesel in the future, the diesel gets better performance and is more relaxed, the petrol car is cheaper to buy and slower. There's not that much difference between them on mpg really (43 vs 48 average). You pays your money and takes your choice.......

Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - balleballe
Their 1.6 diesel had no DPF until 2009 IIRC
Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - Fernando P

Are you sure that your 08 regd Renault diesel does not have a DPF fitted as many Renault diesel engines were fitted with them from ~2005?

Some of this model apparently had a DPF fitted but mine does not. I wasn't aware at the time that I bought the car that diesel particulate filters were an issue or I would have specifically asked before I bought it.

I've had several diesels over the years including my last two so I just naturally bought another particularly as the fuel consumption and tax are low.

I remember when cats were introduced and the probllems they caused for some people so maybe this is another case of the same. Whether in time they will overcome the problems for mainly urban drivers caused by DPFs I don't know but for now I've put changing my car on hold while I scratch my ..........head and think about what to do next!

Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - thunderbird

Have a Ceed 1.6 CRDi SW, great car. Only cars imported into the UK from September 2010 onwards had a dpf fitted, ours was one of the first. If you get a car registered prior to 09/10 you will not have a dpf fitted.

Agree with last post regarding problems with cats and how they were soon sorted but it may be more difficult with dpf's since they do need a good run to regenerate. The Ceed is used probably 70% on m/ways and 30% in town and it does a regen every 300 miles approx, no drama, just idles a bit rough and smells a bit if you have the window open or get out shortly after its finished. Regen takes about 15 miles or so. The so called "Italian tune up" does not work despite what the urban myths say, the soot gets bonded to the dpf and cannot be blown out.

Hope that helps.

Kia CEe'd SW - Buying a new(er) diesel car - madf

Buy a used 1.8 Prius...

Have a Ceed 1.6 CRDi SW, great car. Only cars imported into the UK from September 2010 onwards had a dpf fitted, ours was one of the first. If you get a car registered prior to 09/10 you will not have a dpf fitted.

Agree with last post regarding problems with cats and how they were soon sorted but it may be more difficult with dpf's since they do need a good run to regenerate. The Ceed is used probably 70% on m/ways and 30% in town and it does a regen every 300 miles approx, no drama, just idles a bit rough and smells a bit if you have the window open or get out shortly after its finished. Regen takes about 15 miles or so. The so called "Italian tune up" does not work despite what the urban myths say, the soot gets bonded to the dpf and cannot be blown out.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

That's useful info. as i only do urban driving but prefer a diesel.

Many thanks and to all who responded to my question.