SAAB 1.9 Tid - Does factory workmanship matter? - Sobo

Hi all, I am a newbie to SAAB, (just bought one) and was wondering whether anybody knew if the factory where they are made has something to do with reliability. Not sure If they are made only in Sweden but would a Swedish built SAAB be less prone to failures compared to perhaps other factories? I noticed that there seem to be mixed feelings regarding reliability.

SAAB 1.9 Tid - Does factory workmanship matter? - Roly93

I think all of these are made in Sweden. I had one myself a few years ago, and had a few build quality issues, namely peeling dashboard coating, rusty wheel nuts, rattling from suspension which kept having to be torqued-up by the dealer.

I got fed up and went over to Audi.

SAAB 1.9 Tid - Does factory workmanship matter? - Collos25

Cost cutting on components to try and make ends meet and lack of plant maintainance make for a badly built car plus the staff have a good idea they will have no jobs in the near future and those that leave are replaced by temps so building a good car is not their priority.

SAAB 1.9 Tid - Does factory workmanship matter? - Galad

Aren't they basically Vauxhall Vectras with a Fiat engine? My Dad has one of the 1970's made SAABs for 18 years and 300k mileage with no problems and was still able to sell it on. Was bullet-proof and probably still going somewhere. I met a guy from Sweden once and he said that Swedes lost all their repsect for SAAB as a quality car manufacturer after the GM takeover.