Renault Clio II 1.4 16v - Clio won't start, sounds like faulty starter..help - Brendan.scott1994

I've got a mk2 2002 Clio 1400 16v, which won't start...it doesn't even turn over. Theres just a loud click. Theres power in the battery (reads over 12.5 volts) i also have all electrics.

Tried jump starting it, rocking it in gear push starting it etc but nothing

A few days ago, i removed the throttle body as it was causing an idling fault. I removed the plastic manifold, the coils, the air filter, airbox, and not sure what the plastic box is next to the throttle body, think the major air flow metre plugs into it and it has some form of electromagnetic coil inside it.

I put everything back together ensuring everything was in the right plac. However, a lot of the bolts sheered on the manifold and th thread got stuck in the holes. Also, on what i believe is some sort of air sensor, the 2 plastic clips snapped off.

Don't suppose any of this will help, but i thought i'd tell you every detail in case it leads to something

Would the lack of bolts holding the manifold down cause such an air leak that it won't start?

It seems theres power to the starter motor and it has a good go at firering up as the fan belt turn a tad.

However the syptoms seem to lead to a faulty starter motor...is this coincidence or have i done something to screw it up?

Any help appreciated...

Thanks in advance

Renault Clio II 1.4 16v - Clio won't start, sounds like faulty starter..help - Big John

Have you disturbed the engine earth lead?

To test try connecting a single jump lead between the battery negative and a secure bit of metalwork on the engine.

Edited by Big John on 23/10/2011 at 22:55