Renault Clio - Toxic Fumes warning light - mrbored

Hi Guys,

My Partner has a Renault Clio 1.6 Automatic, 2002 petrol engine. Recently the Toxic fume light and engine light have started coming on and the car stalls when idling, this tends to happen when it has been on a longish (10 mile) journey and then left for half and hour and used again. It has happened on a 2 mile trip to tesco as well. Taking the car to the renault garage has proved a bit useless as they could not reproduce the fault and having looked at it twice have not found any fault that would explain the problem. I have read somewhere else that the fuses or relays in the front of the engine compartment could cause a similar problem if faults and I have reseated them and this seemed to clear the problem before but I dont know enough about cars to be too confident in this. If you leave the car for a while it seems to clear the problem.

Today the gearbox auto light came on as well, and the car wouldnt get out of first gear. But this may be an anomaly of the other issue.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Further to my previous post, car is now displaying the toxic warning light and gear box warning light is on permenantly. This was after being fine for a few weeks and sitting idle for a day. Any help greatly appreciated ? I am getting a little desperate
An update. When the car now starts the lights dont always come straight on. the toxic light comes on after a few seconds and the car will cut out or start to run really badly. the gear box light will not always come on. any ideas ??
Renault Clio - Toxic Fumes warning light - mitoman

Sorry I can' t offer any solutions, but can share similar experience. My daughter's 03 petrol clio has shown the 'toxic fumes' and 'engine' warning lights. The car is taking in water somewhere - perhaps the sunroof / drain, so there's some damp in the car. It's been standing for a couple of weeks over the holiday period. I drove the car briefly yesterday and found the tickover was very erratic, almost to the point of dying. This morning, after only ten minutes' drive, the warning lights came on... Hopefully some of this might help someone identify the fault.... cheers and happy new year.