Watchdog 20/10/11 - jamie745

Anybody see Watchdog this week with the segment about the DPF's? If you didnt see it there was nothing that we hadnt heard before and was essentially the same thing we've been saying for ages to all buyers who come on here asking for advice.

Its interesting how its taken the nations foremost staple of consumer advice programming so long to pick up on it. The case of the man who bought the diesel Fiat 500 for driving round town and later discovered this wasnt a good idea said bluntly that he was never informed that it wasnt an ideal town car. Fiat laughably responded by denying the 500 is intended to be or advertised as a 'city car.'

*Looks at Fiat 500* Well its hardly a motorway cruising estate barn is it?!?

And as for Nissan's 'Urbanproof' Cashcow, well that just confirmed all the stick we give that thing to be justified.

Watchdog 20/10/11 - Roly93

Firstly let me say, the world would be just as good without DPF's I think as they probably increase fuel useage anyway. However the big problem realy is poor customer advice and knowledge, ie dont buy a DPF equiped diesel if your driving profile doesn't suit it.

I've had a DPF equiuped diesel for 2 years now without a peep of trouble, and the only incident I can quote is when my wife used the car for a week of very short low-speed journeys and even then the car just did a re-gen and was perfectly happy since. I am however fortunate enough to do 3-4 80mile+ motorway blasts per week on average.

Watchdog 20/10/11 - 1litregolfeater

Youngsters, step aside

I'm running a Potterton C80, first registered near Birmingham in 1978, made from iron and steel from Sheffield, smelted with coal and ore from a mine that used to be near you.

Requires a new thermocouple from Wickes for a fiver every 5 years. Ridiculous safety nonsense and hi-tech with it, how did they dare in 78.

Not very gas efficient but it works and it's there, so highly efficient in terms of the planet or my own pocket.

In another house I used to live in, I installed a Vaillant Combi. Cheap to run, did the shower too. Broke down after a year.