British army mess up - Red&Bold

Recently i have left the army and joined an engineering company in "civvie street". After chasing the army for my P45 over some months now i have recently recieved a letter stating i have been over paid and owe the army £985. the letter goes on to say that legal action will be taken if no payment in 7 days. I still haven't recieved my P45 and my last 2 pay statements. do i have to pay the money back? this is obviously there mistake why am i liable for repaying the costs?

any help much appreciated.

R&B

British army mess up - Armitage Shanks {p}

In what way is it obviously a mistake? You should obviously have had a P45 and don't your pay slips turn up every month automatically! Are you entitled to a pension and/or gratuity and if so the gratuity should have been paid within a week of your leaving date. Did you hand all your kit in, were there any charges for damage to your accomodation?.

If they say you owe them money they should have told you, in an itemised way, what it is for. Reply to the letter asking for a breakdown of the "Alleged" debt.

it's an obvious mistake in the respect that they have "apparently" over paid me at some point, although i have recieved the same amount in my account as usual up to the point of me leaving.

Payslips are supposed to be automatically sent out each month but i have never recieved a payslip on time since i joined. it seems no amount of protesting or phoning people up will change this. but i did leave back in August and still haven't recieved any payslip since June.

All kit was handed in ( i had the stores guy sign a slip to state this). i lived out in my own flat so did not keep accomadation on barracks. i am entitled to pension, of which i have recieved a letter stating how much and when i am eligible to withdraw it. i am not entitled to a gratuity.

I will reply as you say and await the outcome.

Thanks Again

British army mess up - happy polo

I'd agree with the post above, you need to get concise proof from them of what it is they feel you owe them. I'd be a tad worried about the 7 days or legal action thing though, that sounds very aggressive if it's just a wagebill error; are the army always that polite towards their personnel?!

Get hold of somebody and get them to send you something more specific. You can only dispute it if you know what it's for!

Edited by happy polo on 06/11/2011 at 23:38

British army mess up - daveyjp

You need to write to the Army and put in a request for the information which has lead them to deciding you owe money. Once in dispute any action for recovery is stayed and the 7 day warning can be ignored. No Court would permit a claim going against you as you don't have access to the facts.

British army mess up - Falkirk Bairn

A previous employer overpaid me by £5,600+ and wanted repayment - this was 15 mths after the error..

I offered to repay over 5 years @ £94 / month - they asked for it in 12 months.

Compromised with them knocking £600+ off and the repayments over 24 mths @ £208 / month. I had the cash to repay but just wanted them to give in a bit!

So stick to your gun, offe to repay but spread it out..........courts would spread payments in all probability.

I have written (Recorded sign for) to the address given on the letter and asked for copys of the offending documents plus the outstanding P45 and wage slips. this was on the 21st of Oct. suddenly all is quiet. If i do get all the documents back and what they say is true then i will offer to repay over time like you say FB.

Unfortunately Happy polo ever since the new wage system JPA went in there has been nothing but c**k ups of this nature including being underpaid by the services and still its always the soldiers fault. heard of a case of a guy being DD'd because he wanted to take the army to court over being underpaid for a year.

"bringing the army into disrepute" is broadely acknowledged as the armys get-out-clause for anything they don't like the look off and is punishable by a quick visit to the QM's then a long spell in civvie street.

thanks again for all your help.