Ford Focus - Which Ford Focus (2008-2011) Automatic to go for? - mhillsy
Help all focus drivers?

I'm looking to purchase a focus automatic and struggling to decide which engine to go for.

1) 1.6 petrol are very common and well priced even for 2010 & 11 models. However reviews are saying this is underpowered and should be avoided at all costs?

2) 2.0 petrol has more grunt than the 1.6 but at the expense of mpg And i believe uses the same four speed autobox?

3) 2.0 TDcI has plenty of grunt, powershift autobox and better mpg. However these tend to be about £3-4K premium on the price.

I'll probably being doing 10K miles per annum and a mix of A-roads and motorway driving.

Any advice would be appreciated
Ford Focus - Which Ford Focus (2008-2011) Automatic to go for? - zango

Hi, the petrol Focus is relatively cheap because the definitive item is the powershift diesel.

The extra cost of the diesel is not justified by the fuel saving with your annual mileage. Therefore, I would be perfectly happy with the petrol one. The 1.6 is manual has adequate real performance because of the fine handling. However, I think in auto form you would be better off with the 2.0 and put up with the extra cost for insurance and fuel.

Best wishes

Ford Focus - Which Ford Focus (2008-2011) Automatic to go for? - John F

Not sure it's helpful but we really like our 10yr old 1.6 Zetec Focus estate auto. This engine size seems just right for the car - the auto responds v quickly on kickdown and it's happy at, er, normal motorway speeds! Good economy as well - about 40mpg.