BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - schneip
I'm so shocked/bemused by my experience at my local BMW dealership yesterday I've found myself needing to share.

I have a 2005 E46 3 Series that's been left at home for a year while I toddled off to Uni with a 12yr old Hyundai I bought for £500.

Back in August the BMW's MOT lapsed, and an apparent brakelight failure meant that I couldn't take it straight for an MOT. In my absence my father had kindly called into the dealership and was quoted £20, so what the heck - we've paid more than that to get a headlamp bulb changed on our Daewoo Kalos, and I just haven't had time to sort it out myself while I wind up a research project. It was mentioned to my father by the dealership that the E46 has some sort of problem from time to time with the circuitry/bulb holder tract.

The crazy upshot? On my return to the dealership yesterday, having been told on the phone that it was just a bulb that was the problem, I was presented with a bill for £61. Obviously I queried this. I was told that they'd checked all of the circuitry. At this point I think I turned into someone off Dragons' Den and pointed out that they simply don't do that - you check the bulb first, then, if that doesn't work, THEN you look further into it. Having told them I considered this bill extortionate and that I wasn't prepared to pay it, the bill was adjusted to circa £20.

An interesting point was raised however. The service assistant said it was "BMW policy to check everything". My response was that it's my policy not to pay for unnecessary work that I haven't authorised. Am I alone in thinking this at best seems a Mr Bean approach to changing a light bulb, and at worst seems to be BMW exploiting their customers? Has anyone else come across this?? I'm part hoping it isn't BMW policy, perhaps just the dealership group.

Incidentally, Hyundai ownership provides an awfully interesting insight occasionally. Aside from it's astonishing reliability, a family-ran dealership in the same city sold me a headlight bulb and kindly fitted it for me back in January. The total cost? £1.03.

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - Bobbin Threadbare

£61 for a headlight bulb change...!!!! Cheeky so and sos.

£1.03 though....what's the 3p for?! I've heard good things about Hyundai in general though.

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - schneip
... not headlight bulb, but nearside brakelight bulb!! If it had been the high level one, at the top of the rear windscreen, I wouldn't have minded.

On the Hyundai, £1.03 was a sidelight bulb. He mentioned the funny price himself as it was just after the VAT changed again, I think. Oh go on - I'm very proud of the Hyundai:

1999 Hyundai Accent Coupe, 1.3 Bari in White.

1 prev owner. I was told by the third party selling that it had been standing almost 3yrs, an elderly chap died and his wife apparently couldn't cope with the manual gearbox. I must stress at this point it was sold through a third party who was very savvy for £500. It had covered just 41,000 miles and had moss under the bonnet and algae on the paintwork (we used a little Cif). I went to a Hyundai agent and spent £300 on a service and timing belt change - I didn't begrudge this as I'd originally set aside £2500 to buy an old Honda Civic.

The good stuff: The dashboard doesn't rattle or squeek (one in the eye for newer VW Golfs?). The sunroof doesn't ratttle or leak (are Mk 2 Renault Clio owners envious yet?). It starts first time, every time (unlike the Fiats and Citroens we've owned) and averages 42mpg. Having changed that bulb, it sailed through its MOT with no advisories. Even the electric aerial still works, and it behaves like a 2-3 year old car; the job simply gets done without any fuss.

The bad stuff: The radiator had a 'weep' and finally, on the day temperatures soared it started to project coolent from the air intake under the bonnet.

Given the overall condition of the car I've decided to keep it and am having it's radiator refurbed through the same Hyundai garage - it's a bit like a pet, and will be more use than the BMW when the snow comes. Having owned Citroens, Fords (2 rejected), Vauxhalls and a Renault I wouldn't buy anything now other than either another BMW 3 Series (I love the drive), a Hyundai (I love nonsense-free), a Kia or a Skoda.
BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - Buster Cambelt

mmmm Skoda - four hours labour to change a light bulb on a Yeti?

Luckily picked up by the warranty, but one day that's a real bill that will need paying

Meanwhile over on the fanboy site dismissed as 'just like lots of other cars.....', which may be true but being as rubbish as lots of other cars is hardly a virtue is it?

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - gordonbennet

mmmm Skoda - four hours labour to change a light bulb on a Yeti?

Go on, you can't leave it like that, i'm dying to hear what idiotic design or idiot designer means a 4 hour labour charge for a bulb.....NURSE! more lunacy please.
BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - Buster Cambelt

Here's the original thread:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=87364

I'm trying to airbrush the 10 months I owned a Skoda out of my memory.

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - Bobbin Threadbare

My apologies; brakelight bulb it is.

I am rather taken with the Hyundai Coupe, but I'll be looking for the SIII model I suspect, hopefully getting some warranty left on it. It's probably going to come down to stereo system quality on what I pick as they'll all have similar characteristics...! Sounds like you got a bargain there though!

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - TeeCee

Some years ago, I took a mate to Heathrow airport and gained the use of his 3-series while he was away. One of the things I noticed was that it had a headlamp bulb out. I planned to buy a new one to fix it, but found one he'd already bought in the boot.

A quick look at the handbook revealed the words; "Your BMW dealer will be pleased to assist you with this operation." in the section titled "Replacing bulbs". Given your eye-watering bill, I reckon that "pleased" doesn't cut it and "overcome with rapturous delight" is probably more accurate.

About half an hour later, surrounded by various pieces of plastic shrouding and still unable to access the bulb holder, I began to understand why. I finished the task........eventually....... The little-known 13th labour of Hercules I reckon.

Not the worst I've done though. Anyone else ever had the dubious pleasure of changing the sidelight bulbs on an old VW Sharan? Can this be done without stripping most of the epidermis from your arms?

Edited by TeeCee on 06/10/2011 at 14:38

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - Ethan Edwards

Try changing the fog light bulb on a Cit X-Pic or a Nissan Note. Wheel off - Wheelarch liner out etc. Poor design in spades. Last time I did that it was on a Princess and it was as easy as pie.

BMW E46 - Interesting approach to changing a brakelight bulb - NARU

My 3-series used to blow the offside headlight bulb on a regular basis. I never did understand why, but eventually became reasonably adept at it. Horrid job - I always scraped the back of my hand to bits.