"Intelligent" starter motor - Reentrant

Just back from the USA where we hired the cheapest car we could get, which turned out to be a brand new Chevy (Daewoo) Aveo. It was so new it had no number plates - just a temporary DMV 30-day licence in the window. But it turns out it's perfectly legal to drive there for the first month with no plates.

It had one feature I've not come across before - you only had to "blip" the key momentarily to the Start position, then release, but the starter motor kept cranking until the engine caught. Do cars here now do that? I haven't driven a new car for several years.

"Intelligent" starter motor - jc2

Had it on my 1934 Rover-would also restart the engine if you stalled it.

"Intelligent" starter motor - bathtub tom

The starter won't energise on many cars if it detects the engine running. Been around for years.

"Intelligent" starter motor - Avant

Yes, it's quite common now, especially with cars that have (quite needlessly unless they have keyless entry) a separate starter button. SWMBO's first Mini had a normal key-start but the last three have had the separate button which you just press once.

I had a Mercedes B-class where the same thing happened with a key as with your hired Aveo. With a key it's quite a convenient feature.