N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - galileo

Can anyone explain why so many electronic gadgets which run on two AA or AAA batteries decide to stop working as soon as the battery voltage is down to 1.47 Volts?

The nominal battery voltage is 1.5, brand new ones usually read almost 1.6, why do the manufacturers not design the circuits to keep going till individual batteries are down to say 1.4 Volts?

N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - Collos25

The A A or AAA refer to size and not output if you use cheap low power batteries they will not last at all in such equipment as diital cameras but if you use the correct (high priced)high power batteries they will last a considerable longer time. You have to look at the power output on the packing to get a comparison.

Because they read 1.5v does not mean they are not flat its the amperage that counts or how long it will provide a given power output for a given time.

Edited by Collos25 on 23/09/2011 at 14:20

The problems I have had have been with brand new Duracell batteries; a temperature sensing device stops working when the voltage is down to 1.47 - similarly smoke alarms started beeping for 'low battery' when nominal 9V batteries were at 8.9V.

I am well aware that cheap batteries don't perform as well as quality ones, the question is why devices are not designed and built to be more tolerant and therefore be more economical in battery life?

N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - Collos25

Duracell produce ordinary everyday batteries and then they produce high output batteries you have to read the small print.

If you read my posts carefully you will see that it is not a question about different specifications of batteries, it is about devices sold to the general public which do not call for special, heavy duty, high output batteries, but are supposed to work for a reasonable period on standard cells.

Why not design in more tolerance (or specify extra high duty batteries on the packaging)

Incidentally, I always read small print and instruction manuals.

N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - Ethan Edwards

I don't think it's the voltage thats causing the failure but the lack of current from your batteries.

Ohm's Law applies here, if the voltage is down, so will be the current, as it would be if the internal battery resistance increased or it developed a back EMF due to polarisation.

I posted the 'new' and 'used' voltages because open circuit voltage is easy to check with a multimeter as an indicator of battery condition.

N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - madf

our smoke alarm batteries last for years.. They are all 9Volts though.

I suspect the measurement - which is I belive a test for smoke reducing the output of a photcell receiving a beam of light from a photoemitter - is marginal at 1.5Volts. If they are cheap then teh components will have large margins for error and maybe one batch has a combination which is highly voltage sensitive.

All the smoke alarms I have seen use 9 volt batteries. I don't buy very cheap ones as it's my family's life - save £5 and kill someone is not a good equation.

madf, our smoke alarm batteries were also 9V (recently the local fire service installed alarms with batteries which last 10 years!) and had a habit of starting to beep at 5 am when the battery voltage had dropped as the temperature fell during the night:

A real PITA climbing step ladders to change them at that hour in dressing gown and only half awake.

Edited by galileo on 27/09/2011 at 17:44

N/A - Gadgets that eat batteries - HF

Is this another vibrator thread?