Nissan Micra K11 - Nissan Micra not firing - beater84

Hi all,

Fairly new to this so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I've only recently passed my driving test (31st March) but am on my third car already (none have been in an accident I might add!) which is a Nissan Micra (S reg 1 litre)

All was good until the other night when it was brought to my attention that my tail lights had gone. Simple fix or so I thought. It turned out that the fuse had gone and in the process some wiring had burned through. So in I went to the centre console only to find that whoever had it before me had put a new stereo in and made a bit of a mess with the wiring.

Wiring was all sorted by a kind neighbour, but now the check engine light has started flashing and the engine won't run. it turns over perfectly but won't catch. What confuses me even more though is that after rewiring it I took it out for a short journey (about 5 miles) and it was perfect. Parked up and 2 hours later it wouldn't start.

I have tryed the paperclip trick and this reveals 14 long flashes and 3 short ones, but I can't find out what this means.

Does anyone have any ideas what the code is for or will I have to take it to the dealer and get mugged off?!

Lok forward to your replies.

Pete