"Whistling" Omega V6 - Chad.R
After having the rocker covers replaced on my Omega 3.0 a few months ago, I noticed a strange whistling noise on startup combined with a slightly rough idle. This has progressively got worse and now you can easily hear it several meters away from the car even with the bonnet closed. It sounds like air blowing through a thin metal pipe - probably a bit like James Galway on a bad day :-) The noise does reduce once the engine is up to normal temp, but the idle is still not as smooth as pre-repair.

At the time someone mentioned that VX had sent a TSB about this and it was to do with the connection between the copper pipe that connects the EGR valve to the manifold. Apparently, once removed to change the rocker covers/gaskets it doesn't re-seat properly due to corrosion on the manifold and as a result you get a lumpy and/or noisy idle.

As I can't seem to get any further info from my local Vx dealer about this (work was carried out by an independent) I'd appreciate any info from the backroom.

Thanks in advance.

Chad.R
Omega - Ian J
Chad
I have recently replaced my cam cover gaskets - there is quite a lot of dismantling and the potential for quite a lot to go wrong.
However a few years ago I had a split hose in the secondary air injection system - part of the emission control system. They sit at the front of the engine between the engine and the radiator. If memory serves me correctly there was increased noise - could have been whistling - and rough idle. You should be able to check them out by looking and listening to the hoses. The secondary air injection system is intended to reduce exhaust emissions when the engine is cold - it is designed to switch off when the cat gets up to temperature.
Re the cam covers the workshop manual insists that the inlet manifold seals at the bottom of the fuel rail part of the inlet manifold must be replaced and the o rings at the top should be - however if they werent and the manifold wasnt sealing I dont know whether that would result in the symptons you are experiencing.
Can you not take it back to the garage that did the repair. Re the egr valve it is possible to leave it on the manifold when dismantling and instead disconnect the union nut on the pipe to free the valve - thats what I did.
Suggest checking the emission control hoses first
Ps I am an amateur but hope the above helps
Kind Regards
Ian
Whistling Omega V6 - robert
Hi Chad,

Call CD Brammel in Chesham (01494 793999) ask to speak with the service manager. He is just up the road (A41) from you and is aware of the problem. It is the copper coloured tube and very easy to fix.

Regards ........ Robert
Whistling Omega V6 - Chad.R
Cheers Robert, I'll give CD Bramhall a ring and see what they say...

Chad.R