Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - rogue-trooper

Looking to change the tyres soon and was wondering whether anyone had any advice. The car is 90% on road 10% off road. Ideally I would like to get a tyre that works both in summer and winter and off-road (if one exists). If one doesn't then it wouldn't be too much of a problem to store the current summer tyres and put on winter/off road ones.

It is a Santa Fe, so it is not going to be green laning, more across wet fields and rutted/muddy tracks

TIA

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - RT

I also have a Santa Fe with 235/60R18H tyres - the OE Kumho Solus KL21 are poor in winter as the compound is too hard to give decent grip in cold, wet conditions. Like the OP, it's used on wet fields and unsurfaced tracks.

I'll be fitting Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV which are All-season and have M+S and "3 peak" winter rating - their UTQG is 400AA so should give reasonable life.

The UTQG rating are a requirement for North America, not here, but are very useful in comparing projected tyre life - by comparison:-

Kumho KL21 > 500AA

Vredestein Quatrac 3 SUV > 400AA

Michelin Latitude Tour HP > 440AA

General Grabber UHP > 360AA

Goodyear Wrangler HP AW > 440AA

Dunlop Grandtrek Touring AS > 200AA

Pirelli Scorpion Zero > 300AA

Edited by RT on 16/09/2011 at 10:51

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - oldtoffee

I'd also consider

Vredestein Wintrac 4 Xtreme and Nokian WR G2 - both work all year round maybe the Nokian a bit better as Nokian badge it as a 4 seasons tyre. I've driven both on different cars in snow having put them on in early October and both were very good especially in the wet as well.

I also have a Santa Fe with the Kumhos and I've bought the Wintrac 4 Xtreme to use for the cold weather months and when the Kumhos wear out I'll try the Vredesteins all year and see how they perform. I've also had the Quatrac 3 all seasons and found them only average in the snow compared to the excellent Wintrac Xtremes.

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - gordonbennet

Oldtoffee, i emailed Vred after finding just how good the Wintracs were on my Hilux, asked them if they were suitable for all round use, they replied that they wouldn't recommend summer use but didn't expand.

Like you i found the cold wet grip superb and snow grip top notch, they were 265 section width and the established view is that narrow works best in snow, not so sure that's the case with modern treads and compounds any more in snow, mud maybe as your trying to cut through the stuff to something that grips below.

RT - thanks for that. the UTQG rating is interesting. I have been looking into tyres with my local delaer and was thinking General Grabber, as they are somewhat more reasonably priced. However taking the UTQG into account this might change things.

The General Grabber is £142 and the Quatrac3 is about £202. So presumably I can do £142 / 360 x 400 when comparing the two to get the equivalent price per unit of UTQG. If the tyres performed the same/similar, the equivalent price given the same tyre wear would be £158 for the Quatracs. Or is this rather over simplifying things?

These prices were taken from a well known website and I know that the prices can be lower, especially for the Quats. I don't like saving a few pounds on rubber for the sake of it, but 4 new tyres is somewhere between £560 and £850 depending on which I go for, which isn't exactly peanuts. What I have read about, the Grabbers are seemingly quite well regarded. Any reason not to go fot these? Anyone any experience with them? I would say on road performance is more important that off road.

another question.....

I have looked up about G/year Wrangler HP as the UTQG equivalent to the the Grabber is close. However looking on line there are two in 235/60/18.

One is XL (£184ish) and the other LR (£162ish). Can someone explain the difference? Is it something to do with the sidewall?

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - Durelli_tyres

Can I raise a related question as you all seem to be talking about Santa Fe Winter Tyres.

Are you fitting these to additional wheels, or swapping the tyres on the existing wheels?

If you have additional wheels, what size have you gone for?

I have been looking at the mytyres website which supply the wheels and tyres.

The choice there is as follows -

CM 2188ccm 114 kW BJ.: 10.2005
CM 2199ccm 145 kW BJ.: 10.2005
CM 2188ccm 110 kW BJ.: 10.2005

The relevant link is

ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/skw.pl?cart_id=14979625.110....I

Any ideas?

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - Durelli_tyres

Sorry, it turns out this refers to models and not wheels.

I have one of these models, the 145kw one, and selecting that offers me a selection of wheel and tyre sets.

cheers

Durelli

Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - sailwithrob
I have been trying to General Grabber 235 60 18's but they don't seem to be available
Hyundai Santa Fe - 235/60 18H - oldtoffee

Try www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/car-tyres-235-60-18.h...l or

I use these guys as they are fairly local (M25 Junction 8) and know a lot about 4x4s and tyres, was there this week having my Vredesteins fillted and they had racks of General Grabber. Ask for Andy. Not associated just an impressed, happy customer.

www.ajstyres.co.uk/