Suzuki Wagon R - Stability - veryoldbear

Daughter had to take extreme avoiding action on the A1 this week, and her little green Suzuki fell over on its side. Is there a known stability problem with these cars (and by extrapolation the old shape Vauxhall Agila)?

Suzuki Wagon R - Stability - KB.

Oh, my word I'm sorry top hear that, VOB. It sounds as though your daughter's OK otherwise you'd have mentioned it......which it the main thing. But it's disconcerting to say the least and I imagine she won't feel confident in it again? (if she gets it back).

It's something I've wondered about when I toyed with the idea of getting a Jimny recently. I decided to get a small second car again and wondered about a Wagon as they're cheap, small, roomy and so "uncool" to most it wouldn't get nicked or carjacked. But I sat in one and didn't fancy it. It was brought home to me when I still had the Jazz and had to do an emergency 'slalom' chicane type manouvre (a) to avoid the car that pulled out in front of me - and then (b) to avoid the car that I was heading towards as a result of (a). It was OK, but a Jazz isn't as unwieldy as a Wagon (or a Jimny). I've finished up with another Hyundai i10, which, again, is tall, but hopefully not unbalanced? (unlike myself, quite tall and definitely unbalanced).

I can't see a reference to an NCAP test on the Wagon or the Agila so guess it wasn't covered. And don't immediately see a host of instances on the net about them falling over. Probably because most are driven by the more 'mature' or sensible rather than those given to an enthusiastic style of motoring, and do know a bloke who swears by his and does loads of miles in it and hasn't, (to date), had it fall over. Presumably a more modern, ESP equipped car wouldn't have done it so maybe she'll look with extra interest at that when / if she replaces the Wagon, although the i10 doesn't have it and I'm not too troubled by it.

My Yeti has it and I've never come close to putting it to the test - and long may that continue.

Good wishes in the resolution of the issue.

Edited by KB. on 15/09/2011 at 12:51

Suzuki Wagon R - Stability - veryoldbear

She is in hospital, with a rather badly mauled right arm, but she is remarkably chipper about it all. The Wagon has had its chips, as it was modified into a convertible to get her out ....

Suzuki Wagon R - Stability - KB.

Oh, that's not so good and wish her a speedy recovery. She will undoubtedly be looking at something to preserve her integrity next time then. Do you think side airbags might have helped, perhaps??

Re. roof off......yes, I've had some 'hands on' experience of that (27 years worth) it seems to be 'de rigeur' to get the tin opener out and whip the top off. Obviously it's a quick and easy way to allow good access to the casualty, especially if back/neck injuries are suspected (and they usually are). Does tend to make the initial damage to the car look a good deal worse afterwards, though.

Suzuki Wagon R - Stability - Auristocrat

The Which? stability tests that were carried out earlier this year on the Fiat Qubo and Citroen Nemo (basically the same vehicle - as is the Peugeot Bipper Teepee), showed that high sided cars with short wheelbases without ESP could turn over during extreme manouvers.The Wagon R/Agula also has a short wheelbase and high sides. However, if your daughter's car clipped a kerb during her avoiding action, that would have been enough to tip the car.

Edited by Auristocrat on 15/09/2011 at 13:14