Renault Megane - is my garage liable, and what can I do? - SimonRoskrow

The water pump and belt has failed on my wife's car, pretty much writing it off due to the engine damaged caused. 9 days before the failure, it was taken to the garage with two noises pointed out - a "blowing" noise and a "clunking" noise. The blowing noise was a loose induction pipe that was fixed; nothing was done about the cluncking noise, which persisted. 5 days later, the AA were called out after water in a socket caused electrical failure. This was easily fixed, but the AA man quickly identified the clunking as the water pump, and advised it went to the garage. 3 days later, the car was taken to the garage. My wife explained what the AA man had said, and asked if it was safe to drive home. The mechanic asked how far it was (5.6 miles), said it would be OK, and topped it up with water for her - he said it was leaking. She made it 2.5 miles before the car stopped and the damage was done. The AA came out again, confirmed that the failure had ruined the engine, and took the car back to the garage. The owner of the garage has just returned from holiday (today) and is unwilling to offer any assistance for the repairs needed. He and his mechanic claim that my wife was told not to drive the car; she (and her son) say differently. Any legal/technical advice gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

Edited by Avant on 08/09/2011 at 23:39

Is my garage liable, and what can I do? - Peter D

What was the make, model and engine in the car, exactly, and why was it ruined. Did your wife ignore the temperature gauge and continue driving. Bit of a difficult one. Regards Peter

Is my garage liable, and what can I do? - Collos25

When the water pump packed in it probably threw the cambelt ruining the engine it only takes a couple of seconds only a guess having said that why on earth did she drive it.

I very much doubt if you will get a penny from the garage but you could always appeal to there better nature.

Is my garage liable, and what can I do? - RT

I don't see how the garage can be held liable - however the advice from the AA man that "it would be ok" is clearly questionable - if the car shouldn't have been driven, he should have said so.

Is my garage liable, and what can I do? - SimonRoskrow

RT - it was the garage mechanic who said it would be OK, not the AA man.

I think the problem is exactly as you've said.

She (not a technical person) asked the mechanic if she should drive it home. He asked where she lived, and, on finding out that it was around 5 miles away, said it would be OK and simply topped it up with water. The car got less than halfway home before failing.

I guess she took advice from someone she assumed had more expertise than she does, but he turned out to be very, very wrong.

Thanks, Simon.

Hi Peter

The car is a Renault Megane, 53 plate, 1.4 16v. On the way home on the day of the failure, the "clunking" noise got worse, so she stopped at the garage who had looked at the car the week before and asked them to look again. The mechanic (not the boss, who was on holiday) looked at it and, after topping it up with water, said it would be fine to drive home.

It didn't make it that far - it made it just over two miles before stopping. She called the AA, who towed the car back to the garage, saying that, in all likelihood, the valves would have seized.

My concern is that (a) surely the garage should have identified the same (albeit slightly quieter) noise the week before, and (b) on the day of the failure, she should have been told fairly firmly not to drive the car any further until the problem had been fixed.

Thanks for replying. Simon.

Is my garage liable, and what can I do? - Simon
So your wife carried on using the car for three days after the AA man had said take it to a garage, and then only called into the garage because the noise had got louder? She then asked for an opinion on whether it would be okay to carry on using it even though she already knew it required attention. How much did she pay for this opinion? I guess it was nothing, hence you have no real come back on the garage at all in my opinion. It was a bad piece of advice, but not legally binding in any way.