Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Trilogy

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201134410981949/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/delta/make/chrysler/postcode/ip312tq/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Anyone seen one yet? Good to see Lancia back. I expect alot of these will lose their incorrect badges. The boss of Fiat hasn't a clue.........

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - daveyjp

I saw a couple in Barcelona, the only ones I expect to see in the UK will be in showrooms.

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Victorbox

" the only ones I expect to see in the UK will be in showrooms."

I saw the TV ad this week. I thought it won the prize for the ugliest front view!

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Trilogy

"I’ve been a fan of the looks of the Delta ever since I saw it unveiled by Fiat boss Marchionne. It has to be the most original and distinctive looking car in the Golf-class. And it has been distinguished from its Fiat Bravo sister car through the use of an extra-long wheelbase. The rear space is just huge.

But looks and space aside, I’m not sure what else the Delta brings to the party. It’s not likely to be up there with the new Focus and current Golf for driving ability and Chrysler doesn’t have much of a track record in this market.

Even so, it’s curiously satisfying to see Lancia back - the Ypsilon supermini isn’t far behind the Delta - in the UK. It’s a long time since the company built a really competitive car, but there’s something about the brand, to my mind, at least - that still appeals." Hilton Holloway, Autocar

I'm sure some will sell because I've heard people say they'll buy one and turn back into being a Lancia. Hmmm..............I must get some Lancia badges to sell on ebay!

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - davmal

Saw a few in France, we thought they were stunning in the flesh. The photos don't do them justice, probably the distortion of a wide angle lens. Suitable overstated.

Edited by davmal on 27/08/2011 at 13:08

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Bilboman

This whole "re-badging/bade engineering" topic makes me wonder what the legal implications would be of mass re-badging. Civil disobedience, stage 1, for the masses? Is it technically an offence to re-badge a car? If an Irish driver sells his Opel in the UK but first changes all the badges, wheel trims, engine covers, etc. to Vauxhall, would the BiB have anything to say about it? What if an Insignia driver one day wakes up and decides he prefers to have a Buick Regal parked in the drive?

Were there ever cases of otherwise respectable home counties doctors and schoolteachers "upgrading" their humble Morrises or Autsins to Rileys or Wolseleys, or, bolder still, promoting a humble Hillman Minx to a Singer Gazelle? (Once referred to IIRC as a "Hillman Minx for the cravat-wearer"?)

Just wondering...

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Avant

Re your last para - the only people who would notice are those like you and me who would know the difference anyway. BMC and Rootes were careful to preserve a semblance of the traditional radiator grilles for easy identification. Even the final Wolseley had that little light set into the grille.

Chrysler seem to have a death wish. They have form here - in the 1970s they ditched the Hillman, Humber, Singer and Sunbeam marques (which had a certain following in Britain) in favour of Chrysler (which had none) and after that Talbot (a name from the 1930s but it was too late by then). Now they're doing it again and imagining that punters will prefer the badge of the unloved Neon to that of the Lancia Delta.

It has all the hallmarks of an American decision, probably by the same people who thought Dodges would sell here.

Edited by Avant on 29/08/2011 at 16:11

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - unthrottled

I wonder if Chrysler will be to Fiat what HBOS was to Lloyds. The Dodge name carries some weight in the US, chiefly because of the Ram 1500 pick up, and to a lesser extent the 300. The brand has little cachet in Europe.

But, over here, Chrysler has been pretty toxic for some time.

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - 475TBJ

For those who are interested, a road test. Mind you, some of you may need some evening classes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7rnwFGFepk

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - Avant

So the Dutch can have it as a Lancia, so why on earth not the UK. Chrysler / Fiat really have flipped their corporate lid.

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - unthrottled

Would calling it a Lancia really increase your desire to have one?

The featured one doesn't exactly evoke the spirit of fire-breathing group B rally cars, does it? Perhaps Lancia should is best kept as a hazy, wistful memory.

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - 475TBJ

Short lived Group B rally cars have little relevance.

Avant, I would have thought Holland already has a Lancia netwirk of dealers. As we don't, the bosses at Fix it again tomorrow want to save money, and market Lancias as Chryslers, in the UK. These people quite clearly haven't a clue as to what a Lancia is/was/should be.

Edited by 475TBJ on 30/08/2011 at 08:47

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - TeeCee

That may be the problem.

As I recall, during that period Lancia didn't only mean fire-breathing group B rally cars. In the non-rally world it meant "tarted up FIAT, less reliable, more rusty".

Lancia not Chrysler - New Delta - oldroverboy

The biggest shock is the price! Holy Mackerel!

£20000 for a restyled grande punto. they're avin a larf!