Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - harrogate big vern

Hi,

Any advice appreciated. I have a Mk IV 10 reg 2.0 TDCI.

The Service Oil warning has started showing. Been to dealer who was rude and unhelpful to say the least, jumping straight to the conclusion that it is a notification of needing a scheduled service, before even knowing the mileage or time since last service.

If anyone could clarify the following points I will feel confident talking to the dealer when i take it in for a 'free' check tomorrow.

Firstly does the Service Oil warning have anything to do with standard service schedules? It is 2500 miles off a service, and over a month away from a full year. Is there any warning light that would have come on at this point to tell me to have a scheduled service, and if so is it this light?

My understanding was that this warning was triggered by a sensor detecting degradation of the oil, and not simply based on time or mileage. Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

Also the garage then tried to dismiss my concern on the basis that the DPF Fluid has to be changed at the 2 year service. My belief is that this is nonsense. Some DPF's have fluid, but it shouldn't be changed until at least 37500 miles anyway. My belief is that this engine's DPF doesn't have fluid, but injects Diesel into the oil/exhaust (I'm not claiming to be an expert!) to aid the combustion needed for regeneration. Hence there would be no 'fluid' to change.

Probably being a little greedy but one further question. Should I notice DPF regeneration? From what i have read I thought I would, but I can honestly say I have never been aware of it occurring. I do lots of short journeys to work, but then regular longer motorway blasts. The Service Oil warning came on at the end of a week in Cornwall, i.e. after 360 miles of 80mph motorway, followed by 400 miles around cornish roads. Am I daft to think it odd it comes on at this point?

Thanks for the help.

cheers

Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - daveyjp

First port of call is your handbook. What does it say about servicing and DPF diesels? Many modern diesels have variable intervals for oil changes so time/distance intervals mean nothing for this work, but may be required for items.

My previous cars have warned me about 2,000 miles before a service is due - so if no variable system 2,500 may be right for Fords.

Your trips may mean forced regeneration is uneccesary so it never happens, hence you don't notice it.

Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - harrogate big vern
as usual the handbook is not the greatest document ever written. It doesn't really help.
Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - craig-pd130

Go to another dealer, they're clearly ignorant about this car and engine.

Mondeo 2.0 TDCIs do NOT use Eolys fluid to help the DPF regenerate.

There was an issue with the first Mondeo IVs about the oil service light coming on early (on mine it happened after 3,500 miles from new). The dealer referred to a Ford bulletin, which showed it was caused by an oversensitive sensor. They reset the warning, recalibrated the sensor via the ECU, and did an oil change, all for free.

Regenerations are usually quite subtle, the surest sing is the cooling fan ALWAYS comes on when it's happening.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 24/08/2011 at 13:08

Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - craig-pd130

I would add that if you're only 2,500 miles / a month from the next service, the oil could well be at the end of its useful lifespan.

The Mondeo DPF system was pretty robust for me over 3 .5 years and nearly 40K miles from new, never gave me a problem apart from that very first 'Oil Service' warning. My usage was similar to yours - daily commute of less than 5 miles each way, short runs and the odd long, fast run with revs well up.

But the dealer you're speaking to doesn't seem very clued up about DPF issues.

Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - chrisbell78

After reading another post here on HJ about early oil service light illumination I rang Archbold Ford in South Leeds (my local dealer) to see if they could check if an ECU update had been done on my 08 Mondeo IV TDCi 140 and if so could they investigate further. Strangely they denied the existence of any ECU update and started talking large sums for a new DPF. Can us members of the public access said Ford Bulletin?

Ford Mondeo TDCI - DPF and Service Oil Warning advice - Elite Garage Services

Hi

Anyone thats interested we can remove the DPF and remap the Mondeo for £450. No more dpf problems. Just more power and better fuel economy.

Give us a call or email we are in Bathgate West Lothian

01506 653210, www.elitegarageservices.co.uk">info@elitegarageservice.co.uk or www.elitegarageservices.co.uk